Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I brought my 56-sedan home there was no covering on the rear seat back. All you saw were springs and some cotton material. Is that how GM manufactured the trunk area or did the PO tear out some sort of backing material that attaches to the bulkhead framework? If not, what are you all using for cleaning that area up if you're not doing a full upholstery job? My trunk for now at least is pretty basic with no side panels and no upholstery. Floor will get a mat of
some sort and a spare tire. Still looking for a stock bumper jack.....seems like their nonexistent. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
15,151 Posts
the back board of the seat doesn't actually attach to the seat. it is a slightly thicker version of the door panel cardboards, and it is mounted to the rear seat/package tray support via bent over tabs.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hotrodg, Okay got it. I'm curious why GM didn't make a sheet metal panel instead of cardboard to fill that opening that was affixed to the package tray framework? Thinking outside the box maybe it was to gain access to the trunk area from inside the car for whatever reason? The centerpiece from the package tray backing is offset so a small person could squeeze through to access the trunk in the event of a jammed latch/lock mechanism? Am I off base in my thinking? Thank you.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Hotrodg, Okay got it. I'm curious why GM didn't make a sheet metal panel instead of cardboard to fill that opening that was affixed to the package tray framework? Thinking outside the box maybe it was to gain access to the trunk area from inside the car for whatever reason? The centerpiece from the package tray backing is offset so a small person could squeeze through to access the trunk in the event of a jammed latch/lock mechanism? Am I off base in my thinking? Thank you.
You are correct about being able to get into the trunk if it's jammed or whatnot.
Todd

·
Premium Member
1957 Chevy BelAir 2 Dr Hrdtp
393 Posts
It's inserted from the trunk side. I think you can get it from most of the parts suppliers for TriFives along with the new rubber trunk mat.
And yes, I have accessed the trunk through that area before. I expect that's why it was done that way and for ease of installation since the cardboard will flex a lot for installation.
Glenn

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Glenn, I ended up using a 1/8-inch piece of Masonite that I had in my wood scrap area cut to fit. A little stiffer than panelboard but, seems to be pliable enough if I had to push it out. You stated that you entered the trunk from inside the car. If I can ask, did you access the trunk after the car was finished or during the build stages? The reason for asking was there a faulty key lock and were you able to open from inside the trunk?

·
Premium Member
1957 Chevy BelAir 2 Dr Hrdtp
393 Posts
Glenn, I ended up using a 1/8-inch piece of Masonite that I had in my wood scrap area cut to fit. A little stiffer than panelboard but, seems to be pliable enough if I had to push it out. You stated that you entered the trunk from inside the car. If I can ask, did you access the trunk after the car was finished or during the build stages? The reason for asking was there a faulty key lock and were you able to open from inside the trunk?
After the car was completed. They original key was lost at some point, and I entered through the backseat area and pushed the lock retainer off the lock and then opened the trunk with a screwdriver from the inside, since I was already inside and the trip through the back seat even for a small built guy was not that easy. :)
I did find the original key later and had a few copies made just in case.
Glenn

·
Registered
7,064 Posts
I have a "zookey" for that type of problem.
It has a 4' handle on it.
Was originally designed for use at zoos, to unlock elephant trunks.......:p

·
Registered
Nomads 55-57,69Z28-RS,72ElCamino, Corvette(5)
10,841 Posts
It's inserted from the trunk side. I think you can get it from most of the parts suppliers for TriFives along with the new rubber trunk mat.
And yes, I have accessed the trunk through that area before. I expect that's why it was done that way and for ease of installation since the cardboard will flex a lot for installation.
Glenn
The carboard 'separator' is NOT inserted from the trunk side, but is instead installed from the car's interior before installation of the back seat. Accessing the trunk area from the interior requires the reversal of these steps ie. removing the rear seat, and then the panel and then having your smallest child crawl thru the opening in the metal structure.. :)

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
i wanted to strengthen the rear bulkhead so I made 2 panels out of .090 aluminum that I had and pop-riveted it all the way around. I deleted the backseat though.
RD? did you get the feeling from the OP that the poster was interested in the 'racer' look????

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
RD.. The cardboard was NOT installed for it's strength... it was to provide sound/temp isolation of the trunk area from the interior passengers.... isolation from exhaust and fuel is provided separately.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
The carboard 'separator' is NOT inserted from the trunk side, but is instead installed from the car's interior before installation of the back seat. Accessing the trunk area from the interior requires the reversal of these steps ie. removing the rear seat, and then the panel and then having your smallest child crawl thru the opening in the metal structure.. :)
Unless I am misreading or misunderstanding what you said about the cardboard being inserted from the interior. How do you get it on the bent over tabs if you insert it from the interior? I have always installed it from the trunk side pushing it over the tabs and then bending the tabs down from inside the trunk. 🤔
Todd

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Same here Todd. The tabs are rearward from the package tray structure on my 56 sedan unless some years were different. I'm going to Dynamat that piece I installed for extra sound and heat barrier reduction plus those tight areas next to the quarter panel. Probably just do a little framework so everything is flush. RD nice work on your panels, bet it's fast.
I might check Amazon for a ZOOKEY.😄

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
I've only removed/reinstalled those cardboard panels from original unrestored cars... and I have NO idea how one would do it from the trunk.. Maybe someone has access to the FISHER manuals addressing this issue to clarify??

Someone had posted a link to the Fisher Service News for 1956 sport sedan recently which I retained. I'll post below what it says re removal/installation of rear seat back.. no mention of the panel at all ..? I hate to go out to my '57 sedan to remove the rear seat back to address this question, but 'maybe my memory from 40 yrs ago removing the rear seat is faulty' ?
Font Material property Parallel Paper Number

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
Glenn
Re-reading this, I now recall a cardboard panel that inserts from the trunk area; it has a 1.5 to 2" section that lays down on the raised area under the hatrack and the trunk mat lays over that section to help hold it in place... Is there TWO panels? one on the inside between the seat back and the bulkhead, and another on the trunk side for BelAir models??

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
My 55 hardtop only has one cardboard panel that covers the whole area. Hardtops don't have a support brace in the center like the sedans do. And that cardboard panel is definitely installed from inside the trunk. Mine didn't have a flap at the bottom that that trunk mat went over. Not saying some were not like that, I just have not seen it before.
Todd

1 - 20 of 22 Posts