Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to drill out a trunk lock without doing damage to the decklid? My lock stopped working,does not turn at all,and I really don't want to take out the interior,custom with buckets built in the rear -then there is a shelf /bulkhead on the inside of the trunk that I wouldn't be able to get to so I could get to the bolts holding the lock in. I've tried pushing the deck lid down while turning the lock, all the tricks I know.Any other ideas?

·
Registered
67,746 Posts
maybe take it to a locksmith. :confused0006:

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Got a dent puller? :) just screw it in the lock and slap the hammer...NEXT!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
If you decide to drill it, be careful. I did one once and the bit caught. It ended up twisting the whole lock in the opening. It is only sitting in thin sheet metal with some slots in it. I wouldn't mind using a slide hammer, unless it was nice paint. A chance of popping some paint loose around the lock.....

Did you try a good lube? Also if you have a key that does not fit to run back and forth in the cylinder sometimes moves the pins differently and will help move a stuck pin.

Of course, all this is assuming the problem is even the lock. It might be a jammed up latch, in which case even if you drilled or otherwise hammered out the cylinder, you would still have the problem..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts