Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to cut out trunk pan looking for bracing suggestions. The tail pan and brace is rotten as well. The pipe in pic is temp to keep from spreading.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,210 Posts
a single piece across the area just above the tail pan is more than enough. I typically do not do anything. I usually replace the tail pan first and call it good.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Getting ready to cut out trunk pan looking for bracing suggestions. The tail pan and brace is rotten as well. The pipe in pic is temp to keep from spreading.

That looks like a job... Good luck!

I tried to PM you and I got a message about insufficient priviledges… maybe cause I'M New?

I also tried to PM you about your 4 door parts you have for sale.
Can you PM me please?

·
Registered
35,512 Posts
Be sure to do your work with the frame as a jig as shown in the photos. Not on a rotisserie. If desired, you could tack everything securely and weld it out with the body off the frame.

·
Premium Member
1,549 Posts
Also, if you plan to mini-tub the wheel wells, you can buy a complete trunk pan that already has the tubs notched correctly and the spare tire well closed up. Saves a lot of work if you want to do that anyway.

Wayne

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info Rick will take that into consideration. And wayne I did order it with tubs.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Terry,
I am working on the same thing right now and here’s what I did/doing if it helps any. I welded a very heavy piece of angle across the trunk opening to keep it spaced properly and also used it to pick up the rear of the vehicle when the time came. Leave you trunk lid on and makes sure it clears the brace, you’ll need it to check gaps during the whole process. Because it was going to sit so long without the trunk pan I added a couple of verticals for added body support. Cut out the trunk pan and prepped everything. I am sure you’ll find the trunk close off pieces on both L/R sides are shot, the replacements are terrible and I really worked on some metal forming skills. When the time came to install the trunk pan I unbolted all the body mounts except the two up front (left them loose) and I used my engine crane hooked to the brace to lift the rear of the car. Right now I have trunk pan screwed and clamped in place and have all the sheet metal I am replacing primed and ready to weld.

Hope some of this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pan showed up. Braced the trunk now cutting away all excess material.

·
Banned
72 Posts
I just did this , Good job of bracing ! If I made a mistake it was not taking the time to brace properly, I also added mini tubs , I the floor pan I ordered was not cut for mini tubs but the trunk pan was this also caused more work for me . Looks good have fun with it eh !

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My floor pan is great just a few small area up under rear seat near the rocker that it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Question. Is the rear brace needed if I ordered a complete pan?

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
Question. Is the rear brace needed if I ordered a complete pan?

You did the right thing by ordering the complete pan. I did not and later wished I would've. The time savings of not having to cut off and reuse all your old small parts and having your tail brace welded on in a factory jig is worth the extra money.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts