Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would appreciate advice on a trunk seal that fits a 56. I recently installed a Classic Industries seal and it's not working for me. The problem is that the body U channel doesn't mate up with the lid seal. It touches the vertical part of the body channel. I placed chalk on that piece and indexed where it was hitting. It was off by as much as 3/16" whereas it didn't let the the lid fall into place. I followed the seal instructions on the placement of the concave portion of the trunk, but the final fit was not correct. There was a video on You Tube explaining exactly how it was done. So I followed along 8" at a time taping and gluing as I worked my way around. It looked great when I finished. I let it sit for 3 days and then installed it. The fitment of the trunk was perfect when I removed it earlier. I made two1/8" holes on each hinge so as to use them for reference in alignment once I was finished with the seal install. Now my frustration is at a 10 on the Richter Scale so I ripped it out and spent better part of 6 hours cleaning up the remaining residue from the adhesive. I've enclosed some pics FYI of the different designs out there. You can see the difference from what I used in comparison to others. The one from Steele might be a good choice.

Attachments

·
Registered
Auckland, New Zealand
7,725 Posts
I used the Steele one on my Poncho (same as Chevy) and it fitted well and looks good.

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
I had great results and a perfect fit with Soffseal.

No offense intended, but did you make sure that the seal was oriented correctly to the trunk lid?

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
I didn't want to glue a seal onto my freshly painted trunk lid, and I saw another member had posted an option that goes on the bottom side and basically clips over the metal with no need for glue. The manufacturer is called Unigrip. Below is a pic of my car with the seal installed and I like it a lot. It seals perfectly and is less obvious than the stock option. I realize it's not for everyone but it worked for me. PM me if you want more information.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I have a seal that the previous owner of my 210 had purchased. Instead of mounting on the trunk lid, it slips over the lip around the trunk opening. I think it makes for a much nicer seal. I think I still have some info on this seal in my garage. I’ll take a look in the morning and get back with a post.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
55-2-drive must have posted as I was writing my last post. This is exactly what I was talking about and is on my 210. I think it looks great also.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I put a soffseal one on mine that worked perfectly. Actually soft unlike Danchuks and others. Had no trouble closing the lid.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I replaced mine with the Danchuk 2 years ago and the install went without a hitch. No leaks so far, but the only time it gets wet is when I wash it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Post #3 I was really apprehensive about the correct orientation so I watched a CV Classics you tube video and from what I gathered from that was I had the correct layout. The gentleman that performed that install said it could only go on one way. I'm not so sure now because if you flip it 180 degrees mine would be closer to a better fit. He was installing a SoffSeal product and I wasn't. I don't know why there are so many variations in product. Thank you for all your replies. I might just glue it to the body and get on with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts