Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine has 57 nomad that is being completely restored. He bought it with a VA cable system installed and working. He has installed a new VA electronic system and has offered to sale me the old one complete with everything.
One of my other friends is recommending that I not buy the cable system and spring for a new electronic system. He says the cable system is prone to cable issues that require lots of adjustments.

If you can help me make a chose between the systems for my 57 210 it will be appreciated.
:p3:

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
I have an electronic VA GenIV in my '55 Bel Air. I like it a lot.
So much so that I just bought a GenIV for my '57 pickup.

·
Premium Member
14,040 Posts
I have done several VA system intalls. both cable and electronic. Once set I have never had to readjust the cables. However, if your battery goes dead or you get a jump start you may have to go through the recalibration process. if the price is good get the cable system. new it is $1100 if you got it used complete for $500 you would be doing great.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,021 Posts
He bought it with a VA cable system installed and working.
Why would he change a good working cable system for a electronic system. If the units are the same size, there's no difference in operation. I've never heard of the cables ever having to need readjusting. How good was it working???

·
Registered
7,892 Posts
I have an electronic VA GenIV in my '55 Bel Air. I like it a lot.
So much so that I just bought a GenIV for my '57 pickup.
Roger1: Will you use the GM brackets and compressor that came with your donor engine or will you use custom compressor and brackets?

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
Roger1: Will you use the GM brackets and compressor that came with your donor engine or will you use custom compressor and brackets?
In the truck, the 305 tpi engine I got out of the Camaro came with the all the accessories. I will use that as-is. The GM R4 compressor works fine with the VA evaporator and R134a refrigerant. I did buy the VA condenser kit. I'll get my hoses and lines from coldhose.com.

In my '55 Bel Air I have a Ramjet 350 and a GMPP serpentine accessory kit (it's virtually identical to the Camaro tpi setup).

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I've got the cable system in my 71 C30, had it in my Studebaker. I've got the electronic in my 66 Chevelle. Never had any problems to speak of with any of them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts