Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, while lookin for a 283 block this week i have looked at three which were all coded GC which is Turboglide. Speaking to the owners best to their knowledge the engines all had powerglides behind them .
Was the Turboglide the trans of choice when buying a new 57?
Were nearly all Turboglides swapped out earliy in the 57 life?
Was it a direct swap out or did other parts require changing?
If so what parts?
Just curious due to the amount of GC blocks i have seen for sale.
Cheers Tommo

·
Registered
337 Posts
I don't know if it was the trans of choice but most owners who chose it got them changed to Powerglides due to the reliability of early Turboglides.
Chevy even came out with a service bulletin showing how to swap them and what parts were required.
TG cars had a different rad (you would'nt have to change it though),
different starter, different shifting and kickdown linkage, different cooling lines, different gear indicator, etc.

·
Administrator
70,785 Posts
Turboglide back in the day was new technology yet to be proven. The problem was that there wasnt enough transmission repairers experienced in repairing a turboglide.

Powerglides were proven to be hard wearing and could cop a real beating.

·
Premium Member
5,549 Posts
Turboglides are excellent transmissions and performed well when driven the way they should be. Most weren't and failed, leading to a bad, undeserved, reputation. If I had my choice, I'd take a Turboglide over a Powerglide.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Turboglides are excellent transmissions and performed well when driven the way they should be. Most weren't and failed, leading to a bad, undeserved, reputation. If I had my choice, I'd take a Turboglide over a Powerglide.
From what little I read, turboglides were decent transmissions but weren't used properly which lead to problems. Not sure I would prefer one over a powerglide though.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
From what little I read, turboglides were decent transmissions but weren't used properly which lead to problems. Not sure I would prefer one over a powerglide though.
We've discussed this before.

The fastest way to kill a Turboglide is to pull it down into GR (aka HR) and stomp on the gas, like you'd do with a Powerglide.

The GR design deliberately creates energy-dumping turbulence in the torque converter, which of course is then dissipated as heat - a really bad combination for someone who's got his right foot stuck to the floor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.