Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure I'm gonna make some enemies with this question.

Can I fairly easily turn a 57 Star Chief into a 1957 Belair?

A Friend/contact thru my job has a 57 SC that's he's owned
for years, now he is in his 70s n no1 he knows likes old cars.

I know the car needs some work, but I wanted to know what
it would take to swap the looks from a SC to a Belair. A front
clip and some tail end work? I'm sure I'm not the only one
that has asked/thought about doing a swap like this..

Thanx,
Rob

·
Premium Member
14,974 Posts
You have a much better chance of that conversion if it is a Canadian built SC. If it is US built there are a ton of big differences including a longer wheel base. The only thing the same on a US built SC that is the same as Chevy is the greenhouse.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
25,931 Posts
I gotta ask WHY? The Star Chief would be more unique than a Chevy. This one needs wide whites though.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Complete front clip, complete qtr panels Dash might be different also-not sure on that one. This is for a Canadian built only. Not worth it as the Pontiac is worth a decent amount as is.
Just buy a 57 Chevy.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Canadian will have a Chevy engine, US will have a Pontiac engine
Plus tag will be from Canada.
I don't knw enough about them to say if you can tell from the outside looks.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
49,215 Posts
IMO a 55 Pontiac can look good on its own merits...No need to disguise it as a Chevy.

·
Registered
35,488 Posts
The biggest external difference between a 55 US Pontiac and a 55 Canadian Pontiac is the wheelbase - 122" for US, 115" for Canadian (same as a Chevy). The grille and most of the sheetmetal on the Canadian version has the same style as US - there are two big differences though. First is the front sheet metal is 7" shorter from the centerline of the front wheels to the cowl/windshield/doors due to the difference in wheelbase. Second is that the cutout for the front wheel looks like a Chevy on the Canadian model, while it's rounded as shown in the photo for the US model.

The Canadian 55-57 Pontiac uses a Chevy frame and drivetrain.

The Pontiacs, Canadian or US, share the same glass and window trim model for model as a Chevy. The doors and trunk lid interchange except for the trim holes. The seats and interior trim are the same basic pieces but all the trim is different.

55-57 Canadian Pontiacs are neat cars, I'd love to have one.

·
Premium Member
1,549 Posts
I like the 57 Pontiac. I would not even consider doing that mod. I had a 57 Pontiac Super Chief back in 1963 and it was a really nice car. 347 Engine was strong.

Wayne

·
Registered
266 Posts
What you have pictured there is an american 55 pontiac, the whole floor is different, rear tail pan, rear quarters, front clip, the lower half of the cowl, and the dash, the wheelbase and frame are different.
However if you had a 55 4 door sedan, you could use that roof and doors and the front part of the quarter panels for a 2 door conversion.

·
Registered
65,760 Posts
my sig says what I would do with that cool Pontiac. :anim_25:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts