Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1955 210 SERIES, 406 DUAL QUAD ENGINE WITH MUNCIE 4 SPEED
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to fix my turn signals tio shut of with cam. First the spring that attaches the 2 nylon flags falls off. Should it go behind the center pin. Second the nylon flags are tight on the pins and the spring is not strong enough to move the flags. Is this correct.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,746 Posts
TD.....I'm having difficulty following your description.....However, this illustration may help:

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the pawls are tight on the posts, is that correct. ALSO IT LOOKS LIKE FROM THE PICTURE THAT THE PAWL SPRING NEEDS TO BE BENT

·
51,746 Posts

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
the pawls are tight on the posts, is that correct. ALSO IT LOOKS LIKE FROM THE PICTURE THAT THE PAWL SPRING NEEDS TO BE BENT
The pawl spring should not be bent. It bends in the center when it goes around the bracket and attaches to the pawls. Maybe someone can post a picture with the spring and pawls installed. Jim

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The pawls should not be tight. They should swing freely.
Jim
Mine are tight on the posts, I will open them up with a drill. Got the spring figured out. Waiting for a new upper bearing and hopefully everything will work.

Thanks everyone for all the help

·
Administrator
66,188 Posts
Mine are tight on the posts, I will open them up with a drill. Got the spring figured out. Waiting for a new upper bearing and hopefully everything will work.

Thanks everyone for all the help
Make sure that the cancelling posts under the steering wheel are there as they may need adjusting :anim_25:

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Another hint especially if using a replacement "kit" from one of the suppliers to replace the stock pieces...the parts in the kit are not manufactured quite as well as the originals so to get the pawls to move freely...before drilling out the pawl try lubing the hole well and working them around the posts...if you get the hole just a tad to big the pawl will pop off.
On the pawl posts the new spring has tendency to work its way off one of the pawl posts even when they move freely...a small dab of silicone on the top of the post will stop that from happening or take edge of a small file and put a small 'V' notch on the spring post of the pawl and add a dab of silicone.

Been there, done that

I fought with mine for quite awhile before getting them to work properly and everything to stay in place. The pawls were extremely tight on the posts, I drilled them out just a bit but it was too much and the pawls would pop off the post. Had to order a complete new kit and the new pawls were tight so I just lubed them well and worked them around until they moved freely.
The spring kept popping off on mine after awhile and, I don't know about you but I really hate to keep removing the wheel to fix it only to have it happen again, thus my solution file a small 'V' notch and then add a dab of silicone to the top of the spring post.

:anim_25:

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I wish I saw this post yesterday I had mine apart adjusting the tabs to hit the nylon pawls properly I could have grabbed a photo of it , the spring threads through a hook that's part of the turn signal housing , over time the spring will develop a set that makes it look like the bent one in the picture , but when new the spring is straight and you don't need to manually put a bend in it.

Regards, Robert

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
Ah ha! I've got the spring popping off issue.
I've put it back on a half dozen times now.
Thought about the file trick, but was worried it would break off over time.
Like the silicone trick. :tu

·
Registered
Cocke County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
8,797 Posts
You must have purchased D*****k's "Good" pawls instead of their "best" ones. The good ones aren't worth a hoot and fit tight like you say yours do. Personally if I owned the stock of "good" ones I'd toss them in the trash and take the loss instead of misleading people and selling "junk" as "good". Makes me wonder just how bad their other "good" items are.

Edited by Admin for language (557B210)

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks everyone for the Help

Finally got the turn signals to cancel. Nice to be working after not working for several years. Something I always wanted to fix but other things became a priority. These old cars are never finished......

·
51,746 Posts
Finally got the turn signals to cancel. Nice to be working after not working for several years. Something I always wanted to fix but other things became a priority. These old cars are never finished......
Glad you got it TD :):congrats:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts