Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posting for my boyfriend..

His 55s turn signals when engaged blink like 4 ways instead of indicating the direction he wants. He has tired replacing the switch itself. Same problem. He is getting a little flustered trying to figure out what is wrong.

This is an options delete car with no fuse box. they worked fine previously. The steering column was loose when he first got the car. His Dad who is a mechanic tightened it up and to me it seems like the problems started afterwards.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,027 Posts
Does it have a stock steering column, or an aftermarket tilt column?

·
27,027 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry it took me a bit to get back my boyfriend works 12 hr midnight shifts and we don't live together. So today was the first I have seen him. He says that is not the wiring assembly harness in his column. (The six plug)

His switch and the new one look like the one in the picture you posted. It plugs into two different receptors. Three into one three into the other.

He replaced the original switch with the new one but still same problem.

·
27,027 Posts
Sorry it took me a bit to get back my boyfriend works 12 hr midnight shifts and we don't live together. So today was the first I have seen him. He says that is not the wiring assembly harness in his column. (The six plug)

His switch and the new one look like the one in the picture you posted. It plugs into two different receptors. Three into one three into the other.

He replaced the original switch with the new one but still same problem.
To make sure I understand the symptoms, all 4 lights blink when either direction is selected??? Do the brake lights work normally? Do all 4 blink when the brakes are applied? Do the symptoms change when the headlights are on?
The column plug doesn't matter, as long as the same color wire connects to that color wire in the dash harness.
Turn signals were optional in 1955, so the turn signals could have been added at a later time, and not follow the original factory configeration.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To make sure I understand the symptoms, all 4 lights blink when either direction is selected??? Do the brake lights work normally? Do all 4 blink when the brakes are applied? Do the symptoms change when the headlights are on?
The column plug doesn't matter, as long as the same color wire connects to that color wire in the dash harness.
Turn signals were optional in 1955, so the turn signals could have been added at a later time, and not follow the original factory configeration.
He just checked the front turn signals behave properly. The rear ones BOTH blink when the turn signal is applied in either direction.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
No just the standard two.

Only other thing that has been changed around the lights is recently he changed the back lenses to blue dot.

He was having an issues with the turn signal not flashing when engaged. But that was only on occasion. Hence why he thought the switch was the issue.

·
Administrator
66,194 Posts
Couple of things to check before you trace the wiring to the rear tail lights, try the simple things first.

The flasher just make sure its in working order.

The rear bulbs, make sure both filaments on both sides are facing the same way (you should have dual filament bulbs brake light & turn signal)

Last you may have to trace the pink & volet wires as they may have shorted together causing both to come on together when the blinkers are on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Couple of things to check before you trace the wiring to the rear tail lights, try the simple things first.

The flasher just make sure its in working order.
The Flasher is fine.

The rear bulbs, make sure both filaments on both sides are facing the same way (you should have dual filament bulbs brake light & turn signal)
He did that. And they did work fine before.

Last you may have to trace the pink & volet wires as they may have shorted together causing both to come on together when the blinkers are on.
This will be his next step after we get back from my sons football game this afternoon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts