Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it normal for indicators or turn signals to flash irregular on these cars running stock generators. I notice at idle they flash real slow, and while driving with revs up they speed up. The reason I ask this is from behind it is hard to see my turn signal flashing with the brake light, and I'm worried it could cause an accident.
Is there any way I can make them flash brighter and at a regular speed?

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,017 Posts
Is it normal for indicators or turn signals to flash irregular on these cars running stock generators. I notice at idle they flash real slow, and while driving with revs up they speed up. The reason I ask this is from behind it is hard to see my turn signal flashing with the brake light, and I'm worried it could cause an accident.
Is there any way I can make them flash brighter and at a regular speed?
Yes, it's normal to flash at a different rate at different voltage, but you may need to check the voltage regulator output. Are your headlights real dim at idle also?
That said, the brake light should not be on, on the side that is flashing, so it should not have any affect on the turn signal visiability. The turn signal switch should prevent the brake light from coming on, when that side is selected. Your brake lights may be wired wrong to bypass the turn signal switch.

·
Registered
438 Posts
An idea for consideration... It does require some modification but if you have back up lights you can modify to the typical Aust configuration. Then it'll look more familiar to 'non-old car' drivers on the road here.

I just installed an AAW harness in my '56 4 door and modified it to do this (the kit is configured for U.S. application).

The main points were to
Disconnect brake light from turn signal switch (under dash)
Connect back up light to turn signal switch (under dash)
Connect turn signal wires to back up lights (at rear lights)
Install amber globes in back up lights
Run brake light wire direct to rear of car and connect to brake lights

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
I replaced my generator with an alternator (93 pontiac bonneville cs130) Never have that problem now. Charges better at idle than the generator can.

·
Administrator
66,105 Posts
I swapped out the tin can flasher with a compatible electronic one, flashes steady.
Make sure you have the correct wattage dual filament globes :)

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I swapped out the tin can flasher with a compatible electronic one, flashes steady.
Make sure you have the correct wattage dual filament globes :)
I'll try a new flasher. What wattage globes should be used?
I was thinking of running a relay to my flasher circuit. Has anyone done this?
I have run a headlight relay to my headlights, it it makes a huge difference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts