Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, my turn signal will not cancel after making a turn. Would I need a rebuilt kit or is it just an adjustment or just a particular spring? It will not cancel in both directions. :bowtier:

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,749 Posts

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,027 Posts
Guys, my turn signal will not cancel after making a turn. Would I need a rebuilt kit or is it just an adjustment or just a particular spring? It will not cancel in both directions. :bowtier:
Have you worked on the column or changed the steering wheel? Did both directions start failing to cancel at the same time? It's unlikely that both pawls would break at the same time. Too much clearance between the wheel and turn signal housing can cause this.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I had that problem and found out that I had to simply bend the two tangs (secured to underside of the steering wheel) that protrude down into the canceling mechanisms outward about 15 degrees and everything worked fine. They were missing the pawls

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you worked on the column or changed the steering wheel? Did both directions start failing to cancel at the same time? It's unlikely that both pawls would break at the same time. Too much clearance between the wheel and turn signal housing can cause this.
Yes Don the steering wheel has been changed but I did that way back, so way back I can not remember. It did work fine to just recently. And another yes for the canceling at the same time.
I quess I'll have to take off the steering wheel and check things out.

thanks

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Most likely these plastic parts have broke....However, you won't know for sure, until you get it apart....See link:http://www.classicchevy.com/chevy-turn-signal-cancelling-pawl-and-spring-kit-1955-1957.html

Ok, today I took off the steering wheel and found that one of the plastic pawls is broken. I will order the 53-19 repair kit that Pops gave me here on the forum, but I also need the rubber bumper, it's missing. I called Eckler's and they do not caring that part, so does anyone know were I can get some or what else I can use?

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Having had this problem myself, I can pass on my experience with the fix.
The new nylon toggles that are marketed now are a bit more flexible than the OEM were. They can be used if the W spring is de tensioned enough so that it just captures the indicator when activated, I tried bending the posts on the back of the steering wheel, but did not work for long. The other thing wrong with the new type toggles is they don't hold the tension spring loops that well. I got over that by pulling the diameter of the loops down so they were a closer fit. Make sure as well that the nylon roller that contacts the W spring moves freely and it helps to have a little silicon grease on it.

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can not believe this but today was the first time I took my 56 out for a drive since I did a little repair on the turn signals and guess what the turn signal stills does not return even after replacing the pawls, spring and bumpers.
I am really confused now, can anybody give me a heads up on whats wrong or what needs to be done? I thought the broken pawl was the problem.....

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I can not believe this but today was the first time I took my 56 out for a drive since I did a little repair on the turn signals and guess what the turn signal stills does not return even after replacing the pawls, spring and bumpers.
I am really confused now, can anybody give me a heads up on whats wrong or what needs to be done? I thought the broken pawl was the problem.....

mine has never been perfect either. I replaced the bushing, signal kit, switch, and still only worked well on the left. The right would only work if I press on the wheel as it's turning. It may have something to do with the metal forks on the steering wheel itself. Maybe try and bend those?

·
Premium Member
4,737 Posts
Did this recently.

1. Take a photo of existing before you disassemble because some of the factory instruction sets are incorrect – and illustrate placement of the pawls onto the wrong posts.

2. Make sure the nylon pawls move freely on their posts. Lube is not enough – it will not last forever. If needed, take a needle file ands large the holes – even on the same taper as the posts.

3. Test as you go, using the indicator and turn/return the street wheel to make sure the cancel movement and mech works perfectly.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
One thing I learned about the replacement turn signal kits is that the pawl spring often works it's way off one or both pawl posts and might be just a bit too soft of a tension.

I finally took the edge of a small file and filed a very small notch in each pawl post, re-installed the replacement spring from the kit...now that worked for quite awhile, maybe 6-9 mos, then it quit returning on one side. I pulled the wheel once again and sure enough the spring had come off one pawl post. I replaced the spring with a bit stiffer spring of the same length and diameter I found at our Ace Hardware (for about 40 cents) in their nuts/bolts section. Installed that spring and a small dab of silicone over each pawl post, let it dry up, then reassembled everything...that was almost 2 years ago now and it has not quit cancelling...yet(knock on wood):sign0020:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts