Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1956 Bel Air 210
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need advice on this 700r4 turbo tranny TV cable set up. From what I've learned so far from the forum is that the 700's like to shift early, which mine does. I'd like to find a better shifting transmission for it or beef up the 700, any thoughts on that would be appreciated.

Do these pictures look like a normal set up? The little piece dangling on the end with a screw has me buggered. Maybe that's how it should look?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,748 Posts
From the photo it appears that your carb has the TV corrector bracket which is needed.Take & open your carb throttle wide open then get ahold of the TV cable end you should Not be able to pull it out any further meaning it should be fully extended with the throttle held wide open if it is then the TV is adjusted correctly.That cable is in poor shape though & will need replaced before long.If the trans is shitting too early the way you will need to improve that is with changing the springs & weights in the governor or a high performance governor from either a Iroc camaro or Corvette they have lighter weights or weights & springs that raise the shift points.I just went through that on my buddies 55 that I installed a 700r4 in a few months ago sometimes it takes several tries at changing springs & weights I was lucky enough to get (close)on the first try but it could still be later shifting. I would be surprised if your TV cable is fully extended at wide open throttle looking at the photo but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you for the great explanation; if it needs it, Where do you adjust the TV cable, is it at the Carb or at the Tranny?

I just came back from a 15 mile engine break-in drive and now have a little more experience with the Tranny.

1) The kick down doesn't work, would not kick down into second from third when going about 40 MPH.
2) Shifting from 1st to 2nd with the gas pedal almost floored produced a really sloppy long shift.

·
Registered
921 Posts
You will want to stop driving the car until the TV Cable is properly set up. Doing so will burn up the tranny in just a few miles.

The brass piece that is dangling near the end of the cable has a set screw in it. With the engine off, loosen the screw, hold throttle at full open, pull TV Cable out as far as it will go, tighten set screw with the brass piece up against the black part of the throttle.

·
Premium Member
2,748 Posts
This one from Summit will do the job for you & is a direct replacement & as stated Donot drive it any untill you adjust or replace & properly adjust the new cable as We have suggested.You will 100% burn the 3-4 clutch's up if you haven't already done so.As far as upgrading the transmission it depends on your HP or planned HP levels a quality transmission shop can install a shift kit maybe a corvette servo good quality clutch plates & some other items that will increase the durability.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
There is a whole lot more to it than just making sure the cable pulls out all the way at full throttle. That bracket your cable is hooked to is adjustable. The swing on it is not a continuous arc. It varies as it travels along its rotation. It sounds like what you have is stacked shifting, which indicates that cable is not pulling along the proper arc. To set it up properly, you either need to know geometry, or get a kit that does it for you. This is a good article on how to ensure things are set up properly using a pressure gauge. This will ensure you don't burn up your trans by not having enough application pressures >>> https://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/Instructions/Holley Spread Bore.PDF

I see you have a Holley so here is a link to a geometry corrector kit >>> https://documents.holley.com/199r10345rev2.pdf

Put the two together and you should get it figured out. The guys at Bowtie Overdrives used to be pretty good to talk to. They also sell a valve correction kit that makes things shift a lot better, and sell the geometry correction kits.

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
Plenty of information & utube viedos available to help him with proper adjustment.A couple Summit listings for corrector add on brackets & cable kits.
As long as he picks the right one....Video that is. It is good to have some knowledge so you can spot a good video from one that has wrong things in it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts