Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I got a 283 in my 56 with a Rochester two barrel carb. It runs great with a little presure on the gas but if you pres to a hard or a little to hard it will try to die and comes back but a little slow. any thing I need todo? Is it best to get a four barrel carb?

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
I had the same problem with my 55 V8 and two barrel, until I went through the carb, and now it runs great. The car has plenty of pep actually and unless I swap in a 327 I'll stick with the two barrel. Actually I did a major tune up this summer after picking up this car and everything needed attention.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,791 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
This sounds like a float problem, may need a new one or just way out of adjustment. Also fuel delivery, pump, plugged filter, line etc.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Well I did rebult the Carb.
I had the same problem with the Rochester 2GC two barrel carburetor in my car. It had set for 30 years and pieces of the old accelerator pump piston had to be physically scraped from the bore in the main body of the carb. After thoroughly cleaning the carb and installing a new kit it ran good for about a week before the accelerator pump quit working. The engine would stumble, backfire through the carb, and even die when taking off from a stop.

I got another kit and installed another new accelerator pump. It was running great and I thought I had solved the problem. About a week later the new accelerator pump quit working. The accelerator pump spring just wouldn’t provide enough pressure to move the piston in the bore. I thought the rubber on the new accelerator pump was swelling up and getting stuck in the bore. I tried smoothing out the bore with ultra fine sandpaper and installed several new pump pistons. Every time I changed the accelerator pump it would work perfect for about a week before the new pump would fail and it would start to run bad again.

I was determined to fix it so I bought another identical old 2GC carburetor on ebay and used the best parts from my original carb and the ebay carb to make one good carb. I used the main body from the ebay carburetor and it has worked perfect ever since (3 years). You couldn't tell from looking at it, but I believe there was something wrong with the accelerator pump bore in the main body of my original carb that would cause the pump to quit working.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys well pre rebuild I could not get the car to crank so I just rebuilt the carb just cuz. When it was apart the carb was kinda clean only a little black stuff in the little filter the gaskets were bad. The accelerator pump looked fine in the old one and the pump was in good shape. I dont use the car much given that its not legal yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts