Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I stopped by the local auto paint store today and talked with them about painting my 56 Handyman. The guy there said there is very little difference between single stage paint and base coat clear coat paint as far as the end result. I'm still about 6 months from painting the car but I wondered what most of you think. I haven't painted a car for almost 30 years so this is new territory for me. The car is going down to metal before the paint and I plan on using SPI primmer and clear if I use 2 stage. The car is not going to be a show car, just a driver, but I would still like it to look good. Thanks for the input.

·
Banned
8,304 Posts
Extra coats of clear for down the road polishing and paint correction.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
base coat clear coat

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
you need to activate the base as it is the weak link . i prefer ss color if at all possible even if clear coating.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Chrome a factor

I have a similiar delima - I like bc/cc; but the problem I have is that my SS and chrome is in servicable shape at best.

I fear putting otherwise okay trim (I would have no problem with it if the paint were serviceable) on a beautiful paint job.

Attachments

·
Registered
37,239 Posts
Seems to me it's a no brainer if you're doing metallic. You should use base/clear.

Done correctly, there should be no difference in durability. I'm kind of surprised to see a comment about base/clear being more durable, what with the past clear coat failures on OEM paint jobs. (Note that shouldn't happen these days.)

As for looks, maybe a high end painter will argue one way or the other. There are preferences both ways. I'll argue that there's little/no difference that other than the expert can tell if the job is done correctly. And a high end painter will make the overall job look better than the others when it's done his way, just because he's skilled.

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Sounds like the majority prefer BC/CC, with all the reading I have done I thought that might be the answer, but I wanted to check with the "experts" here. Thanks for the help. :shakehands:

·
Registered
37,239 Posts
Porchdog, what supplier's base do you use?

Seems like I've seen you say PPG DBC, but maybe that's not the only one. What's the catalyst for DBC if that's what you use?

·
Banned
8,304 Posts
Cant use OEM BC-CC as blanket statement as too many variables between manufactures and even their own models.Paint on American made cars are anywhere from 3-6 mills. thick.Not much to work with for paint correction.You would need a $3K paint thickness gauge to determine each layer of paint.It becomes even harder with restored cars because of fillers, primers and paint.Once again it comes down to prep. and cleanliness.We have seen many dirty paint jobs, solvent pop, fisheyes, orange peel and die-back in the AUTOGEEK garage.

Disclaimer:I`m not a painter.......I clean up the mistakes that painters make as well as uneducated detailers.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
If you are painting it yourself, in your garage, BC/CC allows for easier repairs and ability to color sand and buff.
Single stage needs to be put on by someone with some experience to get it top notch.
I used Dupont for years and tried PPG to save a few bucks, but think I prefer Dupont.
Important consideration in deciding about BB/CC or say, acrylic enamel is COST!!! BC/CC cost about 5 times the cost. You have to use the correct primer, sealer, spot putty, base and clear. Each step very costly. I've never tried the single stage urethane paints, so I too will be interested to hear what others have to say about it. And also cost of SS vs BC/CC?

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
I have used both just like every one said metallic u will need bc/cc. but I like single stage on solid color. the 57 of dads is the first time I sprayed the single stage. me and a friend have done a few in single stage but he did all the painting plus Boyd Codington used single stage so I say good enough for him good enough for me and I like DuPont never been a ppg fan. if you do use a bc/cc make sure to ask for hardener for the base a lot of you will say what yes there is a hardener for the base I learn it the hard way! hear is a pic of dads 57 with single stage

Attachments

1 - 20 of 55 Posts