Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm in a shitty situation. I decided to leave the 55' out in the driveway over the weekend, and "mysteriously" the trunk got keyed. It has a 10" down to bare metal key mark, it also has another 2" mark next to it but isn't anything to worry about.

So now I'm in a sitaution where I know this will turn ugly with insurance.

My 55 has great but not so great paint job. Not sure how to explain it other then it looks like someone's home doing. The candy mix in the paint is different from the front to back, but it blends. Some of the panels have orange peal but I'm usaully able to get it un-noticed keeping it waxed.

Now with that said the key mark is horrific and will require a new paint job because the car can not be blended.

I'm currently a tone of emerald green but should be turqiose , and the roof is the correct india ivory. Someone didn't read the correct paint color, is color blind or didn't give a F. So if I repaint I want the orginal color, which leads to another issue of everyhting having to be painted. I've considered getting some dividers and painting the rear half india ivory, but can you tell this in the vin at all?

Also the new rear half will look extremely nice, and the front half will look so so.

:eek:

·
Registered
66,282 Posts
hi inis. thats a shame about that happaning. the vin won't tell you anything about the paint. the cowl tag gives that info. :anim_25:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi inis. thats a shame about that happaning. the vin won't tell you anything about the paint. the cowl tag gives that info. :anim_25:
well cowl tag/vin , but does anything on car tell difference between roof painted and rear/roof. I have two 55's both are identical in cowl tag but the two tone is different on each. I can't find anything that says one way or another other then the dividers.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
There is a letter designation after some two-tone paint codes which supposedly indicates where the paint division is. I have no clue exactly what the letters are or what they mean. But I think very few people notice it, even in judged shows. I've done exactly what you are doing on my 55 and nobody has ever said anything during classification, and this is a 997 point car.

On a 55, it's not just the additional paint on the truck lid, you also need to paint the posts if it's a 2 or 4 door sedan or wagon, and the inside of the trunk too.

7,082 Posts
I have seen Steve's (Jalapeno) 997 point car and if he says it, take it to the bank. JMO Lloyd

·
Registered
479 Posts
From what I've read -

A = single colour
B = simple two-tone (roof different from body) on '55 & '56 150's & 210's
C = 'speedline' two tones on at least '56 150's & 210's
D = Belair two tone for '55, 56, & '57 Belairs

I don't believe the speedline was available at the start of the '55 model year.
What does your tag say for paint and which model is it?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts