Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone beside me tired of hearing the words "crate moter" & "barn find". I find these terns are used a lot by wanna-bes who want to act like they are in the know.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
The funny thing is a barn find is the next post:D

·
Registered
5,133 Posts
Nope the terms dont bother me.. i like all TriFive's whether they were pulled out of a chicken coop and had the pantina rust scotchbrited down and seats duct taped back together or they roll out of a builders shop on a morrison chassis with a GM dealers LS3 motor :)

·
Registered
252 Posts
I dont get it?

you find a car in a barn or an old garage that's been neglected.. or sitting out in someone's yard..

or.. you buy a motor from a company that manufactures a lot of them...

why do you think these words are over-used?

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
These terms don't bother me in the least, but the overuse or abuse of "matching numbers" is killing me!! Most people have no idea what this really means.

Don

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
These terms don't bother me in the least, but the overuse or abuse of "matching numbers" is killing me!! Most people have no idea what this really means.

Don
:dito:eek:n that Don:tu Later, Dave

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
What??

"Wanna-bes"?? - - We're all wanna-bes - that's what this site is all about: people who love TriFives and are sharing info on restoring/repairing them, helping each other and learning. I wanna-be as knowledgeable as many of the members and if I only had the skills of a lot of them - I'd be set! Just my opinion. :)

·
KINGS X 56 = R.I.P. August 31, 2014Senior Member 2
2,885 Posts
Wasn't it the wanna be's, & want to have's, and want to own a Trifive that keep this site growing? If they don't know the correct terms to use, don't they learn them here from the older/senior members?

Words are just words but people helping each other is a true gift & that's just what happens on Trifive.com.

KINGS X 56

·
Trifive Facebook Admin
10,539 Posts
They don't bother me at all, but then I'm just a wanna be that has a crate motor in my 57, oh and the previous owner told me they found it in a barn in Arizona back in 1963:D

Randy

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I think "restored" is over used, restored can mean many different things to many different people. But thats what makes this hobby so fun, the difference of ideas. The show CAR CRAZY is a good example, he goes to all sides of the spectrum when it comes to cars/trucks/motor driven vehicles.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Is anyone beside me tired of hearing the words "crate moter" & "barn find". I find these terns are used a lot by wanna-bes who want to act like they are in the know.
I don't get it... what are you trying to do?? Turn this site into one of those other sites??? Let people use the terms they want to use. Thats what I love about this site. People can can word things as they want and not get ridiculed. :tu :tu:happy0030:

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
My not so favorites I hear alot - "balanced and blueprinted" I always ask to see the blueprint but they look at me funny! :D

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I think "motor" is overused....to me it's an ENGINE unless it's ELECTRIC. LOL!:sign0020: :party0031:
DING DING DING DING! We have a winner!!

Also, with all due respect. . . 2 Grand for a crate engine versus diagnosing and correcting what's wrong with the engine that isn't running? Rebuilding a carb, replacing a coil, setting some points - it's all in the shop manual.
If your tri doesn't have the original engine, consider yourself lucky, they weren't that great. Consider what you're driving to work now, and think about having a valve job done on it. Or a 'ring job'. Not gonna happen. I sold the car that I got when my dad died last year with 209,000 miles on it - still going, never touched.

Numbers matching? Probably not, try 'period correct'

Frame off restoration is my favorite. That says to me - 'This car was in so bad shape, we had to take it completely apart and rebuild everything' (because it was a 'barn find') It doesn't matter if I do it or a professional restoration shop, same thing. BUT, if a vehicle is in a minor accident and the inflated damage charges are more than the 'value' of the car, it is 'totaled' and if it gets bought back from the insurance company it gets a 'reonstructed title' (or salvage title) but I can do subpar restoration on a rusted out vehicle and all is well.

Rant over, have at it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I like alot of others dont quiet understand. To me there is nothing more interesting than a nice old "Barn find" and they are getting few and far between. I enjoy the pics that you guys post of cars that have been forgotten.As far as the "crate engines" go some of the most reliable engines I have owned were crate engines.Around here in my area a good reliable machine shop is hard to come by,so a good crate engine is OK in my book!

·
Registered
36,134 Posts
The problem to me is that "barn find" gets exaggerated and twisted to include more than it should, so it's cheapened from the original use.

I think crate engine is done the same way. Used to be you wanted to build one yourself or have a reputable shop build one. Now the "reputable shop" builds you a "crate motor", er... engine. Or a generic long block mystically becomes a "crate motor".

I've seen "restored" and even better "unrestored" twisted very badly in advertising too.

In a world where history is re-written daily and and "illegal" becomes "undocumented", I could go on and on - it fits right in.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts