Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My lifelong dream car has always been the classic 57 chevy Belair. This November I encroach my 40th birthday and I can't believe the early present that has bestowed upon me. I wans't really looking specifically for a car but I usually always just look through classifieds online and three weeks ago I answered an ad online that read "57 Chevrolet Belair for Sale - 78,000 miles Rough but not a donor".
Not expecting too much I called the owner. He told me that the car has been sitting in his garage for the past 23 years and that he owned it for about 30 years. It was his regular driver for the first 7 years but when the power steering began giving him trouble he decided to drive it into his garage for repair later....23 years later it still sat. He was about to move to a new house and he didn't have the room for the car. I told him immediately that I wanted to take a look at the car (only 20 minutes away from my house). He said that another gentleman was on his way over to look at it but he was extremely aggressive and wanted to tear the car apart (before even looking at it) to tub it out and put an 84 corvette motor in it. Needless to say the seller wasn't too fond of that. When I finally got there (30 minutes later) the other guy was just finishing up looking at it and said he would be back with his buddy. My wife and I looked at the car in his garage and I immediately knew I wanted her. The car (now named Maggee) was absolutely original in every way (black with the black/silver int) with every single piece to the car intact. She needs a full frame off restoration but she is straight as an arrow. To make a long story short, the owner and I hit it off. We both had the similar agenda, I wanted a nice car that I could restore to stock condition and he wanted his baby to go to someone who really appreciated her and would maintain her integrity. The only glitch I had was the fact that she is a 6 sylinder and I desparately wanted to drop the original matching numbers 283 into her to keep her completely stock (except for her 6 cyl. VIN number). I thought maybe someday that could be remedied.
Now the tough part... because I really wasn't in the market to purchase a car at that time... I asked the seller how much he wanted for her. He said he wanted to see how much he could get for her from best offer and that he wasn't in a rush to sell because he wasn't moving for another 6 weeks or so. I asked him how much would he take fight then. His number was an astounding $3000. SOLD! What a birthday present!!! But there's more...the very next day...You're not going to believe this....I was looking through the same postings and I found another ad... it read 1957 283 rebuilt to spec original motor $1000 (and it listed all of the correct matching numbers for the year) ...needless to say I called it immediately. When I spoke to the gentleman on the phone he said he had the motor for the past 10 years in his garage collecting dust... a good freind of his had completely rebuilt it from top to bottom 10 years ago and there is sat...a matching numbers, complete motor on the engine stand. Aparently he had had a 57 Belair but sold a few years earlier and never put it in before selling. I told him my story about Maggee and he immediately said this motor belongs to you, it is meant to be... I will hold it for you indefinitely until you are ready to drop it into your new car...it was meant for Maggee. It happens guys... I've read about it many times but never ever thought it would happen to me...Great story huh?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Unbelievable

A freind of mine had been bugging me to come over so we could ride to Baton Rouge to look at this old warehouse scheduled to be torn down. Some one had given him the keys & said if there was anything in there he could use get it out before the backhoes & wrecking ball showed up. On arrival we opened the door to this 3 story building & you would not believe it. Picture a chevrolet dealership in 1960 that simply closed the doors & never reopened. There were no complete cars but the parts department appeared to be fully stocked with all the small parts so hard to come by today. 3 nos 283 fuel injection units for the first 283's. Tons of brand new in the boxes stainless trim pieces. Dozens Tri5 hoods, doors, fenders etc. We knew what had to be done to remove 3 stories of this "GOLD". We figured in about 2 weeks with 5 other people we could move it all into my newly constructed 8,000 square foot barn. After several hours of marveling over our new found riches it begain to get dark. Just as my friend swung open the back door we had entered this "HEAVEN ON EARTH" through my wife turned over & I woke up.
DONZIE

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
ctmagicman

That is a great story, it is like reading a good book or watching a good movie with a happy ending.

But now the second chapter for Maggie is just beginning.

Otis:)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks... yes, the big challenges begin now. i am really excited to start the project at the end of the month. i will be sure to keep everyone posted and I intend on posting pictures along the way. I was wondering...is it possible to stream video on this site? I just purchased an HDR HDV high end camcorder and intend on putting it to use with Maggee. I would like to share my filming if possible.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Welcome -- and to think that I might've passed that one up because it had the 6 banger! Good job! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts