Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for recommendations for good brand of under hood insulation for my 56 210. Anybody tried Acousti Shield? I also wonder if the insulation would trap heat in the engine department?

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
I've never seen underhood insulation on a Trifive; the factory did not install any insulation under the hood.

Note: When the dealerships did undercoating, some of them DID apply undercoating to the bottom side of the hood (perhaps? hopefully? only at the new buyers' request).

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
49,411 Posts
Remembering the "good ole days", when hood insulation was common on GM cars, seems it was always a mess.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looking for recommendations for good brand of under hood insulation for my 56 210. Anybody tried Acousti Shield? I also wonder if the insulation would trap heat in the engine department?
i used a product called lizard skin for interior roof, nice sound deadening job but not sure about heat trapping being our car is not yet done and out on the road. maybe google the product and investigate, ask manuf or dealer? wish you luck.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
My paint guy used a product Smart (SMT2926) paintable undercoat for the hood. It is in a 17.7 oz rattle can.
It is distributed by Gearhead Products.

·
Registered
35,565 Posts
Insulating the underside of a trifive hood just seems like a waste of time, money, and energy. I just don't see where it would have a net positive effect of any kind. Many late model cars and trucks don't have any, and some of those have a lot of NVH stuff throughout the vehicle.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to everyone for their replies. Don’t want to use a spray product. Insulation not a priority, waiting for next Scottsdale Goodguys show, maybe get some info there.

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
I'm wondering why you think you NEED hood insulation? Just paint the underside nicely and be done with it (as the factory did).. :)

·
Premium Member
13,228 Posts
adding insulation to the hood may cause issues with the hood staying up as it adds significant weight

Reactions: Pops @ Tri-5.com

·
49,411 Posts
adding insulation to the hood may cause issues with the hood staying up as it adds significant weight
Agree...And it looks like poop

·
Registered
35 Posts
Acoustihood. Very cool insulator and cover for the underside of the hood on tri 5s. A little pricey but it is the only thing I have seen like it.

·
49,411 Posts
What is the purpose of under hood insulation? Pro's; cons; etc?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Just a guess: Maybe cold climate areas benefited by faster warm up of engine compartment and consequently faster warm up of coolant for the cabin heater?

·
Registered
65,811 Posts
most want a clean under hood just for appearance. people spend time and money for a clean look, think again about adding insulation. .

Reactions: nickandkaye

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Here is a photo at the beginning of the restoration. You can see the undercoating on the hood. This was a New England (Mass) car and I was the second owner. I wonder if the undercoating was put on by the dealership, and they did the hood.
X-Blackie-003 wds.jpg

·
49,411 Posts
Here is a photo at the beginning of the restoration. You can see the undercoating on the hood. This was a New England (Mass) car and I was the second owner. I wonder if the undercoating was put on by the dealership, and they did the hood.
More than likely Bill...I worked at a car dealership in MA in the mid 60's and a company called Ziebart used to do a bunch of them.

·
49,411 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts