Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting an under hood light for my 57 Chevy. Before Iget it I was wondering how those are usually wired in. I know it will tell me on the instuction sheet but I thought I would ask ahead of time.... Thanks Peter

·
Administrator
67,963 Posts
It has direct power the light itself turns on & off as you raise the hood. There are two positions under the hood for it to be mounted V8 or 6 cylinder :anim_25:

·
Registered
782 Posts
The instruction sheet shows the wire running along the hood reinforcement and then passing through the grommet on the firewall. It connects to the Accessory terminal in the junction box under the dash.

The factory installation sheet shows it installed with the wire running to the "battery" terminal on the voltage regulator with a fuse in line. I think the first option is best.

Geoff B

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
While were on this I was wondering what the original bulb number was for a 57. I read somewhere (maybe 57 chevy alternator conversion website) that it was a 1004 2 pin single filament. The repro underhood lamps look like they only have a center mounted wire which might indicate a single pin single filament with ground thru the socket.

·
Administrator
67,963 Posts
The instruction sheet shows the wire running along the hood reinforcement and then passing through the grommet on the firewall. It connects to the Accessory terminal in the junction box under the dash.

The factory installation sheet shows it installed with the wire running to the "battery" terminal on the voltage regulator with a fuse in line. I think the first option is best.

Geoff B
As per factory install inline fuse to the voltage regulator?

·
Administrator
67,963 Posts
While were on this I was wondering what the original bulb number was for a 57. I read somewhere (maybe 57 chevy alternator conversion website) that it was a 1004 2 pin single filament. The repro underhood lamps look like they only have a center mounted wire which might indicate a single pin single filament with ground thru the socket.
You are correct the centre pin is the power, (That has a constant power wire connected to it) the ground is the casing, there is an internal switch (I think its a mercury switch) that cuts the power as the hood is lowered automatically?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got the lamp . So these are my thoughts on installing this. The Light is the type with a single wire that has a pigtale male end running off it. it can be used in the trunk as well. Run the wire to a live pin on my fuse block maybe where my clock wire is. Then attach clock wire to the pig tale so I now have the clock and light wire attached to the same pin. Do I need to run a fuse on the light wire? I have one on the clock. What amp fuse would I need. I understand there is some kind of mercury swith to activate the light.

Any thoughts on my idea???

Thanks Peter

·
Administrator
67,963 Posts
Peter, I thought the hood light was different to the trunk light but they work on the same principle. The trunk light gets its power when the park lights are turned on. Glad to see its all working :tu

1 - 14 of 14 Posts