Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have access to a lift and would like to clean up the underbody on the 56. It has the typical surface rust. Any recommendations on doing this? Are there any rust removal products that don't have to be sprayed off after application?

·
Registered
386 Posts
I want to clean mine up also and paint it. I was thinking of using a fine wire wheel to clean up the grime, old paint and surface rust.

I'll be watching this thread to see what others have used also. From what I've read most of those cleaners have to be washed down.

Gerald

·
Registered
555 Posts
I used wire cup wheels ,scrapers,propane torch, putty knives and lots of elbow grease. It's messy so put down some tarps to catch the "stuff" and it pays to wear eye protection. I did part of the rear frame, rear end housing by using oven cleaner and my pressure washer, took a couple go rounds but it came clean. Not a fun job !!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
To get it somewhat clean you need sand blast. Wire wheels can't get into the nooks and crannies. I did my 57, you can do ti in a garage or outside. I did most of the blasting in the driveway. My driveway is hidden from view. I also used tarps to contain the sand. Made it easy to vacuum up sand for reuse.

My setup is a 21/2 HP compr. And a HF blaster. The model I have isn't sold any more. The top was dished, it made it easy to refill. Need to strain the sand even out of the bag. I would get about 15 to 20 minutes of blast time. then rest and start again.

That's my two cents

·
Premium Member
50,811 Posts
Mine wasn't too bad so I was able to use lotsa Simple Green and high pressure hose. I'd use a blast for anything worse....:anim_25:
:gba:
bowtie-trifive

·
Registered
363 Posts
I did mine the old fashioned way. Winter before last, I spent most of the winter months laying underneath the 55 and cleaned the entire underside, using putty knives, bladed screwdrivers, sandpaper, wire brushes, you name it, and it really looks pretty good. After that I used the rattle can undercoating for the body, painted the frame work flat black, the exhaust with high temp silver paint, the transmission chevy orange (engine and oil pan painted chevy orange previously) and as a result it looks pretty good. Had a mechanic helping me on my leaf springs and he said it was one of the cleanest he had seen.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Recently I have removed the front bumper and brackets, cleaned and painted the back-side of the bumper with a Metallic paint, called Metalcast (previously used it on my tail light buckets because of its reflective nature), painted the bracketry flat black, and installed a complete new set of bumper bolts. Currently doing the same with the rear bumper and will also install the rubber dust shield.

·
Premium Member
13,068 Posts
I would first rent a high pressure hot washer and use that it will get off all the old grime,,, paint and such ,,then you will get a good look at any rust ,,,:anim_25:

·
Registered
555 Posts
AMEN to the hot water pressure washer ,(mine isn't) much better results and you can use soap in most of those. There is an attachment that uses a sand injector plus the high pressure , takes it down to bare metal.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,676 Posts
I did most of the blasting in the driveway. My driveway is hidden from view. I also used tarps to contain the sand.
Wow! Pepe.....If you did all your underbody sand blasting laying on your back in the driveway, my hat's off to you my friend. :):congrats:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Wow! Pepe.....If you did all your underbody sand blasting laying on your back in the driveway, my hat's off to you my friend. :):congrats:
Believe me it wasn't a lot of fun. But when you see the results that keeps you going. The underside was caked with undercoating, paint, grime you name it, it was there.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I don't dare do mine Its pretty well rust free but you never know if I start taking some of the crap off what I will find I think some of the undercoating is holding the under carriage together LOL. Pete

Wow Pepe yours looks great.

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
I used wire cup wheels ,scrapers,propane torch, putty knives and lots of elbow grease. It's messy so put down some tarps to catch the "stuff" and it pays to wear eye protection. I did part of the rear frame, rear end housing by using oven cleaner and my pressure washer, took a couple go rounds but it came clean. Not a fun job !!
I did the same to get the undercoat off. Then I sandblasted the whole underside.
For me, it was the toughest part of my long, continuing restoration, but well worth the effort.
Tom

·
Registered
325 Posts
My Baltimore 210 has a ton of undercoating & I need to replace 5 of my floor braces & some floor sections, my trunk needs to be blasted too. Any advise to what I should cover up & protect before I get it blasted besides the engine's carb intake? Type of sand or glass bead? I don't want to take it all off!

:gba:

·
Registered
923 Posts
Please don't laugh,,,,but oven cleaner works pretty well, then pressure wash it real good. Probably have to repeat the process until you get the desired results.

·
Premium Member
11,660 Posts
I did mine a couple of winters ago. the car was undercoated at the dealer which I credit for saving the car from the junkyard. Used a heat gun and a putty scraper to get the undercoating off. Then tried to sand and wire wheel off the rust. Unfortunately, I was never able to get it clean and rust free enough and the floorboards ended up in worse shape then I expected so ended up sandblasting the undercarriage. Messy but the end result was better. If I did not have the wherewithal to have the under carriage blasted, I would have probably stuck with the cup brushes and then POR 15 silver first, then black, to seal it all up and keep the rust from rearing it's ugly head for a while.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts