Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need to find a set of pulley's for my bb, will the smaller dia. crank pulley hurt my cooling effect?

·
Registered
122 Posts
NOT SURE WHAT YOU MEAN BY "SMALLER DIAMETER CRANK PULLEY"?? IF YOU PURCHASE ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT PULLEYS THE DIAMETER SHOULD BE CORRECT. I KNOW THERE ARE DIFFERENT DIAMETER WATER PUMP PULLEYS AVAILABLE AND OF COURSE THE SMALLER DIAMETER PULLEY YOU CHOOSE TO RUN ON THE PUMP WILL INCREASE THE SPEED OF THE PUMP AND MAY HAVE AN EFFECT ON THE COOLING ABILITY. I HAD THIS ISSUE ON A SMALL BLOCK THAT WAS IN A STREET ROD I PURCHASED AND COULDN'T FIGURE OUT WHY IT WOULD RUN WARM IN TOWN BUT NOT AT HIGHWAY SPEED. FINALLY DISCOVERED IT HAD A LARGE DIAMETER WATER PUMP PULLEY INSTALLED. CHANGED TO A MUCH SMALLER PULLEY AND PROBLEM SOLVED. SUMMIT, JEGS, AND OTHERS HAVE SEVERAL SIZES AVAILABLE. GOOD LUCK.:gba:

·
Registered
237 Posts
under drive pulleys will drive max cooling temps up as it slows the pump .
i dont like them ..unless your just hiway driving or racing .
traffic will suck bowtie-trifive

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Hey Jim I had a 5" diameter crank pulley on my 454 and the alternator charge light wouldnt go off unless I gave the engine a small rev. I changed the pulley to the correct size 7 or 8" or whatever it is and it fixed the problem. I didnt even leave my shed with the smaller pulley on it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts