Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
8,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m trying to decide on which will look better for the radiator support, filler panels, and inner fenders. Should I go with a semigloss black or body color? I have the inner fenders in flat black right now, but the radiator support and filler panels are body color. I was think8ng I should go with one or the other.

Decisions like this drive me nuts! Advice? Photos?

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
8,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Opinions will vary; I like those panels in semi gloss back and firewall in body color. Doing them all body color seems like a bad rerun of the 90s to me.
That’s kind of what was making me ponder this, I was having flashbacks of the 80’s paint jobs where everything on the car was a single color. Sometimes it looks good, sometimes it looks dated.

·
Administrator
48,680 Posts
Whichever color you decide on, go with a clear coat finish. My painter talked me into satin black for the underside of the hood and it is the pits to clean the bugs off of. I had the radiator support and su=ide panels painted in gloss black with a clear coat finish and the bugs clean off so much easier.
Terry

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,224 Posts
I did mine like this Eldon...I need to back up and take a better pic though

·
Registered
864 Posts
I went from black to body color last year. It comes down to the style and use of the car (show car or daily driver, original, custom). In my opinion if doing body color don't paint everything body color. You need some contrast or it can end up looking cheep. I kept the hood supports black as well as the upper grille support, horns. Good luck and keep us posted.
Todd

Attachments

·
Registered
636 Posts
If those parts are body color, I think they need to be pre paint prepped as good as the body, or it looks cheap.

·
Registered
66,172 Posts
different strokes for different folks. I like it all body color.
HPIM1576.JPG
HPIM1574.JPG
HPIM1575.JPG

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,224 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
Eldon,
Here is Old Red . Whatever you decide is right for your car since we are all different. Glad to see progress.
Larry
EA0FDD61-D123-4995-AF13-60AD6FB4CC88.jpeg

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
8,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did the tie bar in the front the body color, but I think I will do the radiator support and filler panels in semi gloss black.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I would do semi gloss black - if you do it like the factory it will never go out of style.

Reactions: ETriggs

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
8,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will spray out some of the semi gloss I have next week and see how it looks. It’s not a pure flat, but has just a bit of gloss to it.

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
8,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I went from black to body color last year. It comes down to the style and use of the car (show car or daily driver, original, custom). In my opinion if doing body color don't paint everything body color. You need some contrast or it can end up looking cheep. I kept the hood supports black as well as the upper grille support, horns. Good luck and keep us posted.
Todd
I like how yours looks, it looks factory. I know it’s not, but the way it was done makes it looks like GM did it. I really like that.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I like both. For full blown resto mods, I like it painted the body color, for cars with a more stock appearance, I prefer semi gloss black. I don’t think you can go tong either way. I am not opposed to gloss black providing the sheet metal is perfect.

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
8,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks. My plan was to modify the car to look factory. Sometimes I joke it's a COPO 55 BelAir.
Todd
Not too much of a stretch to say that it is. I wonder if it was possible to get some of the pieces factory painted in body color.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts