Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I picked up a Universal Lockup Kit from TCI and iv been driving around using it but im experiencing the following "business", Im not sure if its the tranny shifting from 3rd to fourth rapidly, or the kit engaging, in wither case it happens at 3/4 throttle, and im movin pretty good for these speed limits around here. Im wondering if i should raise or lower the vacuum on the switch to fix this problem??

from the instruction:
Q: What is the setting on the vacuum switch?
A: The vacuum switch comes factory preset to close at 8 - 10 inches of Hg. This means that in order for the solenoid to be activated the switch must get 8 - 10 in. Hg. or higher. If you find that the torque converter lockup experiences "busyness" (shuttles on and off rapidly) at cruise conditions it is probably because your engine vacuum under that particular condition is right where the switch turns on and off. This can be verified with an engine vacuum gauge.

If you have a "busyness" problem the switch can be reset. Remove the switch from your transmission. Locate the small dimple in the center of the switch on the side marked "World Magnetics". Using a 1/8" drill bit, by hand, gently remove the potting material to expose the adjustment screw. Using a small Allen wrench turn the adjustment screw: clockwise to raise the vacuum required to close the switch and counterclockwise to lower it. The adjustment screw is sensitive so it does not need to be moved very much to make a difference. A small dab of silicone will seal the adjustment screw when you are done.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
yeah me too!

:eek:I also had that problem because of the vaccum, I ended up going to an eletrical lock-up using the brake switch to release. I generally have very low vaccum and now it works fine just not as "seamless" as I would like. I think with some tweeking the TCI stuff should work I was too impatient with it.:anim_32:

Joe

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:eek:I also had that problem because of the vaccum, I ended up going to an eletrical lock-up using the brake switch to release. I generally have very low vaccum and now it works fine just not as "seamless" as I would like. I think with some tweeking the TCI stuff should work I was too impatient with it.:anim_32:

Joe
I hear ya, i didnt find out about the electrical version til after i had this installed. So i ended up lowering the vacuum on the sensor under the impression that i'll get over the busyness "hump" a little sooner and wont have to be WOT to cruise. Going to take it out for a drive and check it out.

James

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
ok, so am i supposed to feel the lockup engage? i feel it shift through the gears, but dont feel the lockup. The "busyness" is gone, and when i was cruising at somewhere around 65, it sounds like the rpm's are a little high. Im not in the best position to troubleshoot since i have no speedo/tach and my exhaust is a straight through dumping in front of the tires, so its sounds louder anyway. i think i need to play with the TV cable. The thing is i just drove it from NY to NC, and made it with barely a problem, but its not somthing i want to ignore.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts