Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

861 - 880 of 1141 Posts

·
Registered
7,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #861
I was advised that my problem might be the gen light bulb in the dash and that turned out to be true. With the bulb removed, everything works and shuts off as it should. I have intentions of putting the diode in the gen light wire sometime soon.

·
Registered
7,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #863
Jimmy, do you need the diode? I may have a couple extra.
Thanks for the offer but I have a new bag of about 3 that's never been opened left over from a Jeep I put a wiring harness in a few years ago. We have a local starter/generator shop that sells this cool pilug with the diode already in it. It just plugs into your alternator plug and you plug your wiring harness into the other end. That's what I used on the Jeep.

·
Registered
7,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #866
The laundry room rebuild of the carburetor is complete. The inside of the carb was in really good shape. I don’t believe it had been used much at all. The flooding was caused by a sticking needle and seat. I wish I had put a needle and sear in it and left the rear alone but oh well. At least I k ow it’s clean and has fresh seals now.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #868
Hey, I have one of those tables, lol.
I’ve been sick this week and didn’t feel like going outside but doing nothing was killing me. Yesterday I thought hey, the wife’s at work, I can go thru this carburetor and be done before she gets home. I did hold the parts outside thru the window to spray the carb cleaner on them and blow them off. At 4:15 I have screws and parts all over the washer and dryer when there’s a phone call saying stepsons car is ready at the shop and we need to pick it up by 5. It’s a 30 minute trip. What are the chances? She visits her mom after work on Wednesday’s and goes to church so I still had it together before she got home. One of the accelerator pump screws fell off the windowsill and fell into the hvac bent never to be seen again and I had to dig up a replacement for that.

·
Premium Member
13,191 Posts
Budget heater control pieced together from 2 bad ones, some Danchuk levers and knobs, and a used face place from Ca. Chrome seems to hold up better out west than it does on the east coast.
when you get new chrome parts wax them 2 or 3 times to seal them and preserve them.

·
Registered
7,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #871
Got the engine reassembled yesterday. Still having strange timing issues. Refreshed carb works great. I got the float levels set, idle screws adjusted with the air filter on per Holleys instructions, set the timing close by ear after the timing light proved unsuccessful, pulled the gen light bulb out temporarily, installed a new thermostat housing to replace the leaking chrome one I had, installed a 56 temp sending unit from East Coast Chevy, and some heater hose nipples with a loop hose on them for the time being. Then I went for a test drive. U used to have my doubts about wether I had enough engine for a double pumper but I don’t have any now. The thing accelerates pretty good and will melt the tires in 1st and 2nd gear. No bogs, no stumbles, it just works. It does still detonate in high gear. I still need to get it aligned up pretty bad. I may try the string method sometime and see if that will get it close enough for me to go to the alignment shop. Other than the timing mystery and my 6al still not working right, I’m pretty pleased at this point

Attachments

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
49,214 Posts
Sounds good Jimmy....I forget the specifics on your engine build...Would you refresh my memory.

·
Registered
7,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #873
Sounds good Jimmy....I forget the specifics on your engine build...Would you refresh my memory.
it's a 350. a 1977 truck block bored .060 ( because that's what it took to clean it up) with KB/Silvolite flat top pistons. I have an EngineWorks flat tappet hydraulic cam that has .488/.508 lift ,234/244 duration @.050 and its on a 107/117 centerline. I installed it advanced 4 degrees. The heads are Vortecs that have been surfaced a little bit and had a 3 angle valve job and the bowls blended. The intake is a Performer RPM that has had a little step milled out of the center divider under the carburetor. The headers are used 1 5/8 that came out of someones attic. The carb is a 600 Holley DP. Distributor is a MSD pro billet unit with a 6 series box and a blaster 2 coil.

·
49,214 Posts
Sounds like you have a good runner there Jimmy :):tu

Looks to me like you could use a shorter alternator belt :)

·
Registered
7,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #875
Sounds like you have a good runner there Jimmy :):tu

Looks to me like you could use a shorter alternator belt :)
It ought to have 300 hp

I could. They stretch. If I get one short enough to account for the future stretch, it won’t go on. Still working in that.

·
Registered
7,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #876
Today installed new cig lighter and checked operation. I also installed my revamped heater control and tested the old fan switch that came with it. Surprisingly it works.

·
49,214 Posts
Got your heater parts in the mail on Thursday.

You should get them early next week.

·
Registered
7,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #878 (Edited)
I could not make up my mind where I wanted to cut the alt wire to solder in a diode so I went with one of these plug in jobs that I purchased at Squires generator shop in Kinston. I’m attaching a pic of the bag and the part number in case I need another in the future. Not the prettiest solution but that took care of the run on. I installed new dome light bulbs and the pedal pads. I’m trying to use a 6al ignition box and I’ve had trouble with the rev limiter coming in too soon. Way to soon. Like it’s hard to get to the speed limit too soon. I bought it used and it came with a 7k chip in it. I tried a 6k chip and it might have got a tiny bit better but still an issue. The guy on the MSD tech line informed me that the box will work fine without the chip in it, it just won’t limit rpm. He instructed me to pull the chip and see if the problem goes away and that would tell me if the chip is bad or if the box needs to come in for service. Turns out that it runs great without the chip so I’ll be ordering a new 7k one sometime. I also tried my hand at setting the toe in with a string in my driveway. That worked. I think it worked good enough that I can drive it to the alignment shop now.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Great! Pigeon Forge or bust. See you there in May, Jimmy. Looking forward to seeing both your and Dave's cars ( hint Dave .....You need to get busy!)
Larry

·
Registered
7,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #880
May is right around the corner. I have a lot to do. PF doesn’t have the scratch and dent section that Bowling Green does.

861 - 880 of 1141 Posts