Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1101 - 1120 of 1153 Posts

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
9,029 Posts
I need to get back in a gym if they ever clear this covid crap up.

You guys are building some darn nice cars and I"m out here working in the dirt like a hick with whatever I can scrounge up. Thank you for the advice and support.
Don't sell your self short. I have seen some really great cars done by some untrained guys. It is all in the desire to improve, learn and apply......which you have clearly demonstrated. :congrats: :congrats: :tu

Mikey

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I need to get back in a gym if they ever clear this covid crap up.

I don't comment on it much, but to those of you that follow my build, please know that I truly am humbled. You guys are building some darn nice cars and I"m out here working in the dirt like a hick with whatever I can scrounge up. Thank you for the advice and support.
This was the first car I ever built, and it was all done in my driveway. Back then I didn't even have a car port, much less a garage. I didn't own a welder, or a floor jack. No compressor or air tools, just a tool box full of wrenches and screwdrivers. Still turned out pretty good. It's more about the desire to build it than all the fancy equipment you have. I really enjoy following your thread, Jimmy. Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
7,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,103
This was the first car I ever built, and it was all done in my driveway. Back then I didn't even have a car port, much less a garage. I didn't own a welder, or a floor jack. No compressor or air tools, just a tool box full of wrenches and screwdrivers. Still turned out pretty good. It's more about the desire to build it than all the fancy equipment you have. I really enjoy following your thread, Jimmy. Dave
That was a sharp looking car

·
Registered
7,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,105
I took another trip to my favorite bbq joint and met this nice old man in his 80s that told me all about a 57 Chevy he had way back when. He took a couple pics and I stepped out of the car so I wouldn’t break his camera lol. I think it made his day. Came home and worked on my riding mower. Needed new fuel line and this little inner voice told me not to drive my 55 to town but I didn’t listen. The fuel pump died on my way to town. The black and white pic is in front of the old gym where I went to elementary school. I took that while I was waiting for my cousin and his trailer.

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
great build! I finally made it to the last page...and have learned from oyur advice ont he floor pans. I recently purchased a barn find 55 post and will soon start a thread. But my question is can you revist the frotn disc brake set up you did? what did you use and or buy and why did you have to get the machine shop to turn down the hubs for?

·
Registered
7,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,107
Thank you. I have checked out your car and thread and it looks like a great starting point. I used a kit from an Ebay seller called MGChevyparts that uses custom brackets and all GM parts. I used roller bearing hubs brom an early 60s full size Chevy car and the disc kit uses slip on front rotors from the rear of a 78 Trans Am. The hubs have a tiny lip that needs to be turned off before the rotors will sit flush on the hubs. I think David ( 557B210 ) did a step by step tutorial on this brake kit with pictures and notes. I like the kit and would use again.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
49,850 Posts
I think David ( 557B210 ) did a step by step tutorial on this brake kit with pictures and notes. I like the kit and would use again.
Attached the tech article:

Attachments

·
Registered
7,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,109
Replaced fuel pump today. Went with a Carter. Its surprising how much better the car idles and drives with adequate fuel pressure. I may attend a local cars and coffee with it tomorrow. The fuel sending unit is a mess. I brought home 2 jugs with 4 gallons of gas each in them.Actually it ended up being 5 gallons in one jug and 3 in the other. I drained the tank empty and put in 3 gallons. The needle showed a little over 1/4 tank. I put in the remaining 5 gallons and then the needle showed a little under 1/2 tank. I put in 5 more gallons ( which was the original amount I drained from the fuel tank ) and then the needle registered exactly 1/2 tank.IDK. I guess a new sending unit is in the works but not sure where I'll order from this time.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
49,850 Posts
What is the number of the pump Jimmy....I assume that it is electric.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Jimmy, great to hear that ram clutch works good! Just try to keep your "go" foot light for proper break-in...easier to say than do:D

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
I mentioned a while back that I had decided that my ol' blue sedan had too much rust in it for me and I wanted a body that was in a little better shape. Last saturday I went to SC and bought this hardtop shell. Here it is in all it's glory..
I don't know why, but I never followed this thread, I think it started when I was new here and was a bit too much for me to follow since my focus was the driveline. I just clicked on the first post and am curious how you repaired the rear tailpan/trunk damage? From what I've seen in parts catalogs, there are a hell of a lot of parts that go in there to fix it all. Did you go with all new or make some easy ones yourself? Can you tell me around where I might find the threads on fixing that area. Mine isn't as bad looking at it from up top, but underneath there is a lot of nothing going to the body mounts. I think all I've bought so far is the rear trunk panel since it has so many bends/curves. This may sound sacrileges to some, but what doesn't show from above, I really don't care how it looks from underneath, just so it is strong. Thanks, really appreciate it if you can find that general area for me to look.

·
Registered
7,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,120
Picture s if my fuel pump and the part number for Pips. Tony, I have some advice I think will help you. I will post on that later when I’m on a real conputer. My phone dosent seem to like this new format. I can’t even see what I’m typing

1101 - 1120 of 1153 Posts