Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1121 - 1140 of 1153 Posts

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
49,854 Posts
Thanks for the feedback Jimmy...No problem with the fit regarding frame clearance I assume....Also, what size are the input/output fittings? Looks like I would have a problem clocking it to clear with my motor mount set-up.

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
9,031 Posts
Picture s if my fuel pump and the part number for Pips. Tony, I have some advice I think will help you. I will post on that later when I’m on a real conputer. My phone dosent seem to like this new format. I can’t even see what I’m typing
The correct Carter # that is a direct replacement for the stock AC pump on all 55-57 2 bbl or 4 bbl carb is M2468 inlet and outlet is exactly correct

Reactions: Pops @ Tri-5.com

·
49,854 Posts
Good to know Mikey

·
Registered
7,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,124
I don't know why, but I never followed this thread, I think it started when I was new here and was a bit too much for me to follow since my focus was the driveline. I just clicked on the first post and am curious how you repaired the rear tailpan/trunk damage? From what I've seen in parts catalogs, there are a hell of a lot of parts that go in there to fix it all. Did you go with all new or make some easy ones yourself? Can you tell me around where I might find the threads on fixing that area. Mine isn't as bad looking at it from up top, but underneath there is a lot of nothing going to the body mounts. I think all I've bought so far is the rear trunk panel since it has so many bends/curves. This may sound sacrileges to some, but what doesn't show from above, I really don't care how it looks from underneath, just so it is strong. Thanks, really appreciate it if you can find that general area for me to look.
My trunk metal replacement started at the bottom of page 1 and went through page 2. Which panel did you already buy? What I learned from my trunk repair was
1. take a real good inspection of your trunk floor before you order and parts. I made the mistake of ordering the rear 10" panel on a whim before really looking at the rest and I ended up having to order a full trunk pan instead. The next mistake I made was not paying the extra money for the pan with the rear tailpan brace already installed. It would be interesting to see pics of what you have now. Maybe you can get by with patching what you have or just a rear 10" panel and that would be awesome. You are going to need a new tailpan brace from your description though.
2. There really arent that many different parts under there. Its hard to tell once the rust eats half of the old stuff away where the new stuff goes but its not hard to figure out. I'll help you however I can
3 odds are the curved rear corners of the inside trunk wall where the floor butts up will be eat out. The repair patches they sell for those are a poor reproduction but they are cheap and patches can be cut out of them to fix what you have.
My rear quarter panels sagged when I first bought the car causing the trunk lid not to fit right and it was all due to the rusted out tailpan brace and trunk area. I was suprised how much better that all fit when done.

·
Registered
7,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,125
Thank you Mikey thats nice to know. The outlets fit the chassis quite a bit better than what I have.

·
49,854 Posts
Thank you Mikey thats nice to know. The outlets fit the chassis quite a bit better than what I have.
Yeah Jimmy...That one you bought looks just like the Edelbrock one that I had so much trouble with.

(Of course those Speedway side mounts on mine didn't help any)

·
Registered
7,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,127
I believe if I had side mounts I could have used an angled or curved fitting for the inlet hose and been ok.

·
49,854 Posts

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
My trunk metal replacement started at the bottom of page 1 and went through page 2. Which panel did you already buy? What I learned from my trunk repair was
1. take a real good inspection of your trunk floor before you order and parts. I made the mistake of ordering the rear 10" panel on a whim before really looking at the rest and I ended up having to order a full trunk pan instead. The next mistake I made was not paying the extra money for the pan with the rear tailpan brace already installed. It would be interesting to see pics of what you have now. Maybe you can get by with patching what you have or just a rear 10" panel and that would be awesome. You are going to need a new tailpan brace from your description though.
2. There really arent that many different parts under there. Its hard to tell once the rust eats half of the old stuff away where the new stuff goes but its not hard to figure out. I'll help you however I can
3 odds are the curved rear corners of the inside trunk wall where the floor butts up will be eat out. The repair patches they sell for those are a poor reproduction but they are cheap and patches can be cut out of them to fix what you have.
My rear quarter panels sagged when I first bought the car causing the trunk lid not to fit right and it was all due to the rusted out tailpan brace and trunk area. I was suprised how much better that all fit when done.
Thanks, in the second last pic, the piece with the vise grips, is that the tailpan brace? And what is under there that the vice grips are holding? Great job by the way!

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
Oh, How many pieces does the body mount bolt go through? I'm thinking it has to be more than just the trunk floor. And yes I bought the 10" tailpan piece. I'll try to get pics of it.

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
Hey, I suppose I should start a new thread when I post the pics. I just went out and looked and I suppose if I remove the tailpan the rest may be a bit clearer what I need. Looking at it now also I think I can get away without the right and left curved pieces if I cut and weld a patch. I just hope there is enough thickness to weld to!

·
Registered
7,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,132
Yes start a new thread in the body section and start out with pics of what you have now. Looking back, I wish I had saved my original tail pan and the rear panels under the taillight that it welds to on each end. They needed some small patch work but I could have done it and saved myself some trouble. I got caught up in the kool aid of wanting everything new and I had to make it all fit and align up. One good thing is everything pack there is new now. The vice grips you asked about are holding the inner trunk panel to the rear of the trunk floor. the very rear of the trunk floor has a flange around it that butts up to the inner quarter panels until you get to the very back. Then the trunk floor just spot welds to the tail pan at the rear

·
Registered
7,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,133
Tony, the piece i circled in red is the tailpan brace. The rear body bolts go through it and fasten the trunk/rear of the car to the frame. Itis structural and also holds the rear of the car at the correct height. If its rusted out bad enough it will affect your reardoor gaps and trunklid alignment

·
Premium Member
10,530 Posts
Just great to see you out and about with your 55! Man did you work hard to get on the road.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
You should really be proud of yourself Jimmy. You have really persevered to get your 55 back on the road! Enjoy your cruising time. Look forward to seeing it at the Nationals the next time we have one.

Mike

·
Registered
7,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,137
Thank you. My wife tells me I need to learn how to accept a compliment but all I can see is how much more I need to do. I do enjoy driving the thing. It's pretty hot inside with the current weather but I dont care. Yes, I am going to try to make the Nationals with it whenever we have one again.

1121 - 1140 of 1153 Posts