Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1141 - 1153 of 1153 Posts

·
Registered
7,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,142
I haven't done anything serious lately but thought I'd take a minute to log what I have been up to. My accelerator linkage was working loose and as a result wasn't pulling the carburetor but about halfway open. Fixed that and found out the car runs pretty good with all 4 barrels. Bought and tried a 670 Street Avenger carb and the car started quicker and had a smoother idle but I didnt care for the electric choke or the vacuum secondaries so I put the 600 dp back on and sold the 670. My clutch pedal has never released correctly. I did every thing I could think of to do for it but it just wouldn't. A couple weeks ago I pulled the pedal assembly and sent it to Earle Williams to have him look at it. I had already sent him my bare clutch pedal before and had the fully splined shaft put in it. Earle found several problems with it. He had to ream and machine the tube the splined shaft goes through but it's done and on it's way back home now. I visited the liquor store and found the perfect sized box to mail him my pedal assembly, but the post office wont mail a box with alcohol printed on it. I took the box home, carefully seperated it, turned it inside out, glued it back together and went back to the post office and mailed them off without problem the next day. I intend to hook up my horns and a new volt gauge and possibly the heater while the dash is apart.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Jimmy, it was pricy but I have never regretted the money I spent on EW clutch linkage on my 55. The OEM stuff was junk when new.

·
Registered
7,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,145
I removed the 6A ignition box and installed a 6AL. I like my hidden location for it under the dash but man is it a pain to get in and out. Especially with the heater box installed. I did a better looking wiring job on my underdash gauges while hooking up the volt meter and removed the steering column in preparation to install the pedal assembly. I took them out with the column in place but it was a bear. My wife said my pedals were on the doorstep when ste got home from work. I cant wait to check them out in the morning.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Looks nice! IMHO, it’s the details like the pedals working smoothly that really make an old car enjoyable to drive. Thanks for the update!

·
Registered
7,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,149
This is what Williams Classic Chassis sent me back. I can’t say enough about the quality of their work and their great service. I wasn’t aware that it was bent, but they straightened the main bracket and replace a missing stud as well as do some machining on it and they upgraded it to the 57 style return spring. Then they teassembled it with new bushings. Once he received it, he had it turned around and sent back out to me in a day. I can’t wait to finish putting it in but I worked last night and I need a nap.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Jimmy you are not alone in your like of your like of EWs pedals, I never realized how gooned up mine were until I had them done.

·
Registered
7,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,151
It's night and day difference. I reinstalled the pedals today and readjusted my clutch to match and it's hard to believe its the same car as far as that goes. I cant wait to get out and slam a gear in it. It works so smooth. I also freed up and adjusted my brake rod that goes from the pedal to the master cylinder and now that works a little better too. I believe before I wrap up this little work session I am going to hook the cables up from the heater to the controls, hook the heater hoses to the engine and then I'll need a 7lb radiator cap if Im not mistaken for everything to work well.

·
Registered
7,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,152
I have a question: is this bracket for a 55? It dosent look like the one in the drawing in my service manual. It dosent mate up too well to my lower steering column cover either.

1141 - 1153 of 1153 Posts