Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1381 - 1400 of 1428 Posts

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,381 ·
Here’s a pic of the wideband gauge that won’t play right. I’m about to pull it out and repackage it and see if I can return it. I contacted auto meter about it and they sent me a new 02 sensor but there was no change. All the thing does is read 17.0 wether you are cruising, idling, on the floor or whatever. I’m gonna try another one from a different company.
Speedometer Gauge Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
54,219 Posts
Hey Jimmy...I haven't been paying attention...What are those gauges good for and how much do they cost?

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,384 ·
My seat covers came in today. I took a peek inside the box and I'm thrilled with how good they look. I cant wait to install them but there is no telling how long that will take. I probably have my work cut out for me. I built my frame from bare pieces of different seats so I never got to see the old covers installed.

·
54,219 Posts
Souds like you have your work cut out for you Jimmy...But, I know you can handle it buddy.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,386 ·
I gathered up all my seat related parts today and assessed their condition and tried to get an idea of any small items I may be missing. I have 3 bottoms, 2 left backs, 2 right backs and out of that I should be able to piece together a decent frame.I have already done some work to the best bottom. I replaced some sagging springs with good ones out of the other bottoms and formed a new rear spring frame wire to replace a rusted original and installed that some months back. I have a good passenger back but the best driver's back I have is gonna need some border wire repair too. I had hoped to rob that wire from another spare back but they are all rotten in at least one place. I'll have to make something.
The bottom frame that I'm using has these little sheetmetal plates that cover the rear corners and attach with 2 phillips screws. I'm guessing their purpose is to keep the seat cover from hanging on sharp edges in that area. Mine are rusted. I'll have to make two of those. While I work on this I intend to study as many articles as I can find on seat restoration.

My rear armrests came to me used and in bare metal. Are they supposed to have tack strips attached to them for the new upholstery to attach to? where did these tack strips attach? Are these tack strips the only thing that holds the new covers on or is an adhesive like contact cement used to? CARS didnt cut the hole for the rear ashtrays. I thought that was cool of them to offer you the option to delete them but I'm leaning toward keeping mine.

While the inside is gutted I will probably pull the carpet and lay in some insulation. I may insulate the roof and order a new headliner and install that while the seats are out too. I have read 100 threads on insulation but I have no idea what I'll use.

·
54,219 Posts
Jimmy...Just saw this post...Maybe the pics will help

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
11,738 Posts
The tack strips go along the underside of the edge that is against the upper panel. This material is just stapled to the metal. You can use
plastic tack strips, or make them from dense cardboard like what the door panel boards are made from.

As far as the small pads you think yo need to make, blast them and see how bad they are. All the do is allow the material to flow over
them not a structural part

Mikey

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,393 ·
The tack strips go along the underside of the edge that is against the upper panel. This material is just stapled to the metal. You can use
plastic tack strips, or make them from dense cardboard like what the door panel boards are made from.

As far as the small pads you think yo need to make, blast them and see how bad they are. All the do is allow the material to flow over
them not a structural part

Mikey
Thank you. The part I took the picture of is a spare and it would probably survive a blast job. Rust has chewed up the two on my seat bottom pretty good

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
My rear armrests came to me used and in bare metal. Are they supposed to have tack strips attached to them for the new upholstery to attach to? where did these tack strips attach? Are these tack strips the only thing that holds the new covers on or is an adhesive like contact cement used to? CARS didnt cut the hole for the rear ashtrays. I thought that was cool of them to offer you the option to delete them but I'm leaning toward keeping mine.

While the inside is gutted I will probably pull the carpet and lay in some insulation. I may insulate the roof and order a new headliner and install that while the seats are out too. I have read 100 threads on insulation but I have no idea what I'll use.
Even if the rear armrests I'm recovering have the tack strips, I don't use them. Usually I just remove them entirely. All I've used to hold the covers on for the past 30 years or so is adhesive. Dave

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,398 ·
I do not envy you living in North Carolina. I lived there 11 years and the humidity causes things to rust without even thinking about it. Good luck. Glad to see you driving it while you finish up some details.
Yes that’s true. Our winters are mild though. I’ve often wanted to visit out west and see that dry climate but never have

1381 - 1400 of 1428 Posts