Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1401 - 1420 of 1428 Posts

·
Trifive Certified Restoration Shop
3,521 Posts
I use DAP Weldwood Landeau Top & Trim Adhesive exclusively, but most of the 3M products are good. Just try to avoid the true "contact cement" varieties, as they're very unforgiving if you need to make adjustments. Dave
I've found that the 3M spray adhesive tends to deteriorate over time. I've seen it actually get soft after a few years let loose and become a gooey mess. Just had a customer stop n last week that had this issue in his custom built trunk liner. All the edges were letting go and the leftover glue was soft.

The DAP product is what I use when I need to install a headliner or carpet on panels.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,402 ·
This evening I replaced a rusted panel on the bottom of my front seat bottom.

Attachments

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
54,219 Posts
Good work Jimmy...Keep it up buddy.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,407 ·
Bench seat shifter in position. I used to think I could bang gears in this car like Ronnie Sox. Somewhere along the line things started feeling different so I eased off the gear banging a little bit. When I crawled under the car to pull the old shifter I discovered the plastic linkage bushings had disintegrated and gone and the bottom shifter bolt had departed from me at some point.
Motor vehicle Hood Car Light Vehicle
Motor vehicle Hood Car Light Vehicle

·
Premium Member
12,638 Posts
Jimmy, hurst sells a metal bushing kit but take a pass. They don’t fit well, and break easier then you can imagine. They are apparently made of powdered metal. The version you want is from Paul Cangliosi (I probably have that spelled wrong). He sells some of the best Muncie and hurst parts.

I have these on mine.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,409 ·
Jimmy, hurst sells a metal bushing kit but take a pass. They don’t fit well, and break easier then you can imagine. They are apparently made of powdered metal. The version you want is from Paul Cangliosi (I probably have that spelled wrong). He sells some of the best Muncie and hurst parts.

I have these on mine.
Thanks. Sure hated to cut this floor again.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,410 ·
In an effort to stiffen up the bottom of the seat and give all the springs a more uniform height, I added a small rod ( or a thicker wire however you want to look at it) to the seat bottom. I may stick one of the extra wires I robbed out of the other seat bottoms in the middle as well
Road surface Wood Wall Mesh Automotive tire

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,411 ·
We are getting rain this week. I stuck the pieces I have worked on so far inside the car to keep them out of the weather. The old Scion seats were comfortable and served their purpose but this already looks like it matches the rest of the inside better than the foreign buckets did. After a date with the sandblaster yesterday I found out that both of my seat backs are in bad shape. I will either have to spend hours trying to patch them up or replace them before I can finish the seat.
Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Vehicle door
Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Vehicle door

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,413 ·
We are getting rain this week. I stuck the pieces I have worked on so far inside the car to keep them out of the weather. The old Scion seats were comfortable and served their purpose but this already looks like it matches the rest of the inside better than the foreign buckets did. After a date with the sandblaster yesterday I found out that both of my seat backs are in bad shape. I will either have to spend hours trying to patch them up or replace them before I can finish the seat. View attachment 364852 View attachment 364852
Note- I did spend hours patching up the rear seat backs and they came out well.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,417 ·
Still playing with this seat. A little unoptimistic because I started with a rough frame and as I dug into it and kept looking at the rusty mess I thought I’d never get it right. I ordered some covers from CARS and went back and forth in my head over what foam to use. Like anything else you can ask 5 people and get 5 opinions. I ended up using 2” high density foam that I bought from a local upholsterer. Here’s a picture of the almost finished bottom. I can’t fasten the back of the cover until I repair the threads for the broken stop mounting bolts.

Attachments

1401 - 1420 of 1428 Posts