Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a real nice stock 57 Bel-Air that I would like to drive. the brakes are OK but they are still drums all around. I have an chance to buy a used but stock P/S and P/B (< $1,000.) setup from a 56 Chevy.
Questions
Will this fit my 57?,
Is it worth the effort?
Hints on these modifications?
Thanks for your advice

·
Registered
418 Posts
Depends on what you want to do with the car.

Unless you want to stay stock, you can buy a disc setup online for relatively cheap. The power brake booster/mc addition is fairly easy.

In fact I'm about ready to swap my front disc setup for a dropped spindle/brake combo and it will be for sale.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
If you make sure the stock drum brakes are OK, good friction material and round drums, good working cylinders. Including the master cylinder. Drums brake well.
My car still has them and locking the front wheels is possible.
Keep in mind that the stock rims will not fit disk brakes. You can buy special rims that still allow the hubcaps.

·
Registered
336 Posts
The power steering will work but not the power brakes.
You'll need to find a setup from a 57 as the firewall bracket, vacuum tank, etc. are different.
I'm sure I have one if your interested.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
13,073 Posts
If its a stock car,, i would keep it stock (thats my 2 cents) and dont go racing it at that speedway you have out there !!! LOL treat the old girl nice !!!

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
I also have Drum brakes on my 57 and they stop me just fine. I do have a 6 cylinder and don't go on long trips with the car. If I had a V8 that was "warmed over" I would most likly switch to disks. No question about it, they do have more stopping power. Also, I don't drive in the rain unless I get cought off guard, but I remember from my youth driving my old 55 and 59 Chevy daily driver, that drum brakes don't do well running through water. Disk brakes act mostly the same going through puddles!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Yeah i have drums all round on my BA and she stops fine, just need to maintain them and remember your not driving a race car your driving a 53 year old classic.......

Which reminds me i have to do some maintence on my brakes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Updating the Stock 57

Thanks for your input folks, maybe my best best if I want to put alot of miles on this stocker is to update with Disc and 200r4, or buy one that's not so stock (I just love the stock looks of a tri-five).
By the way the race track days are long gone, it's still exist and now adays its nice to watch.
Thanks

·
Registered
290 Posts
Drum brakes are fine just as long as you keep enough distance with the guy in front of you and don’t need to stop suddenly. Learned this the hard way when I had to stop hard last weekend due to someone cutting in too close in front of me. Car came to a screeching halt after sliding a bit. Would probably blame this on the bias tires more than on the brakes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts