Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After twelve years of using a 605 steering box, I plan on switching to a CPP 500 box, I have two questions.

Are the hose ends the same at the steering box between these two brands? I understand that the 500 uses inverted flare fittings, but I don't remember what the 605 has.

From a labor standpoint and since I'm sitting on my couch thinking through this, can the boxes be removed / installed from underneath the car?

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
36,002 Posts
Most but not all 605 boxes had inverted flare fittings. The ones made in the last year or so of production had metric bubble flare.

As far as bolting the box to the frame, yes you can do that under the car. The hydraulic hoses are on top of the box.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Do it!

Replacing the leaky, touchy 605 box with the CPP500 is one of the most rewarding upgrades I have done to my 56, and it was relatively easy.
You will probably need new PS hoses, and be prepared to shim the box to the frame to achieve exact alignment with your column (perfectly normal; I used washers).

Good luck!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, sounds like a plan and an early Christmas present for me and from me, unless any of you want to chip in! :sneaky:

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
You will not be disappointed a 500 box is 10 times better than a 605 that was obsolete technology when new.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks Twin Engines!
Now my next question and it has to do with cost.
The usual sellers CPP, Summit etc. are priced at $419. Does anyone out there know of any reputable sellers who sell at a lower price?

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Not trying to hijack here, but My car came to me with a new/reman(?) 605 installed. I've put over 16,000 miles on it in the 2 years I've had it back on the road, and have no leaks. Is there other reasons to switch besides leaks?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Busterwifell, I hope your's holds up for a long time and you didn't hijack, you asked a viable question.

My car has been on the road for 12 years and for the last few the steering has gotten rather sloppy (no leaks). Quite a bit of steering wheel travel without actually moving the pitman arm. Tried adjusting the 605 box to remove some of the slop to no avail. All other steering components are fine.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I'll keep an eye on the box for leaks, so far the steering seems fine, no slop in it. I'm curious to see the responses on the best price on a 500 box.

·
Premium Member
5,409 Posts
Bill, if you just need the box, Auto City Classics has the best price I've found. Not sure about the shipping, but they go to a lot of big car shows. (or used to.)

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just found that CPP does have a site on eBay and lists the box at $407 w/free shipping, which is a whole $12 savings over their official Website. Yahoo, I can get a bacon cheeseburger w/fries and a drink with that savings!

Yeah, hoping that someone else knows of a good place, that beats everyone's pricing.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Thanks Twin Engines!
Now my next question and it has to do with cost.
The usual sellers CPP, Summit etc. are priced at $419. Does anyone out there know of any reputable sellers who sell at a lower price?
I have purchased directly from CPP and bought the same part for another car through Summit....Summit was cheaper....I think it was something to do with the fact that they could mark down because of bulk purchase, but Don't quote me.

It was the C5 Spindle kit, btw.

I prefer Summut, Jeggs, or Speedway for easy returns, but when I have purchased items from Detroit Speed or Global West, I go straight to them as they are more apt to give discounts.

·
Registered
36,002 Posts
Is there other reasons to switch besides leaks?
buster, besides what's mentioned already, the 605 box has too much power assist too soon. What this means is the slightest twitch of the steering wheel initiates a steering motion, and as a result you are constantly steering/correcting as you go down a straight road. This is due to the way the hydraulic valve in the steering box is built. The conversion boxes like the CPP and Borgeson have a much "tighter" hydraulic valve, and they tend to not require the constant steering and correction on a straight road. This is how the hydraulic valve in a late model (even one with a rack) is built, it's been evolving in that direction for years.

Any wear will increase this problem. If you are satisfied with the way the car goes down a straight road, no need to switch. If you are constantly steering the car, that may be a reason to switch.

·
Registered
732 Posts
buster, besides what's mentioned already, the 605 box has too much power assist too soon. What this means is the slightest twitch of the steering wheel initiates a steering motion, and as a result you are constantly steering/correcting as you go down a straight road. This is due to the way the hydraulic valve in the steering box is built. The conversion boxes like the CPP and Borgeson have a much "tighter" hydraulic valve, and they tend to not require the constant steering and correction on a straight road. This is how the hydraulic valve in a late model (even one with a rack) is built, it's been evolving in that direction for years.

Any wear will increase this problem. If you are satisfied with the way the car goes down a straight road, no need to switch. If you are constantly steering the car, that may be a reason to switch.
Does anyone know if the CPP box fits with fender well headers by chance?

·
Registered
2,143 Posts

Thanks, Rick..........it seems fine for now, but I'll keep a watch on it, and if it shows signs of wear or wander, I'll make the switch. Thanks.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
To make a long story short (yeah like I'm capable of that), I ended up purchasing a CPP 500 steering box from Auto City Classic, Inc. in Minnesota. Price was $344 plus $18 for shipping (to Pgh. PA). Since sales tax was thrown in mix, the grand total came to $383.72, which beat all other sellers out there.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts