Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 57 two door sedan and the wiring on the whole car has been hacked over the last 56 years and needs to be upgraded. The fuse box is gone and has been replaced by some aftermarket POS. I would like know what you guys think is the best thing to do. Except for the dash lights and turn signals, it is all working and the car is drivable as is.

In the opinion of them that have been there, are the replacement kits like Painless or AWW a better choice or do the reproductions of the original harnesses work out best.

I know nothing of either one, and I am not worried about originality because the car has already been modified to some degree.

I intend to install power steering and an ididit column but have not started on that yet.

Wayne

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,009 Posts
I just bought a 57 two door sedan and the wiring on the whole car has been hacked over the last 56 years and needs to be upgraded. The fuse box is gone and has been replaced by some aftermarket POS. I would like know what you guys think is the best thing to do. Except for the dash lights and turn signals, it is all working and the car is drivable as is.

In the opinion of them that have been there, are the replacement kits like Painless or AWW a better choice or do the reproductions of the original harnesses work out best.

I know nothing of either one, and I am not worried about originality because the car has already been modified to some degree.

I intend to install power steering and an ididit column but have not started on that yet.

Wayne
AAW (American auto wire) is pretty good. And they have detail instructions as well.

They actually sell original or updated harness. Summit list them check it out under American-Autowire-500434-Classic-Update

Just pick up the updated one that meets your power needs fuse wise.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,746 Posts

·
Administrator
49,512 Posts
I installed the AAW update harness and am very pleased with it. If you plan to ad any upgrades that will need more electrical connections than stock this is the way to go.
Terry

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My concern with the aftermarket kits is the odd stuff, like the funky little sockets that go to the grill bar for the park lights. Do you have to splice into the old original sockets or does the AAW kit provide the correct socket.

I have never seen one of these kits, so I have no idea what they consist of.

Wayne

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,009 Posts
My concern with the aftermarket kits is the odd stuff, like the funky little sockets that go to the grill bar for the park lights. Do you have to splice into the old original sockets or does the AAW kit provide the correct socket.

I have never seen one of these kits, so I have no idea what they consist of.

Wayne
The harness is designed to fit a stock car and connectors. It will have an upgraded fuse block to the newer style.

Now you might have to splice things like the column but they might come ready for the aftermarket ones.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I went with the AAW classic update version in my '55. It's a great kit and if you get into trouble while installing it, the AAW support staff is just a phone call or email away and are more than willing to help you get through the process.

·
Administrator
49,512 Posts
Now you might have to splice things like the column but they might come ready for the aftermarket ones.
No splicing. The kit comes with the adapters for the stock column.
Terry

·
Registered
67,783 Posts
AAW is a sponsor here. check them out. :tu

·
Premium Member
11,707 Posts
I will chime in just as an alternate conversation, I used a stock reproduction harness with the ATO upgrade fuse panel. My car has no accessories with the exception of a stereo, tach, electric temp and an upgrade to an alternator. Very easy to install and the ato gave me the extra power connections i needed. Although, I did it that way, a number of the fellas have used the AAW upgrade and have raved about it.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
I'm getting started with the AAW kit, and I've called twice (jumping the gun) and been VERY happy with the friendly, knowledgeable responses I've gotten. I've been told that once you've done one, the rest are easy.......and I find this one to be understandable. I'm not intimidated by it at all, as I was with a competitor's kit.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will probably go with the AAW kit as well, so I guess I need to come up with the scratch for an Ididit column, AAW Kit and a CPP500 box/PS Pump. Crap, I may as well go ahead an get Dakota instruments while I am at it.

Someone told me once that restoring a car is sorta like drinking out of spittoon, once you get started, there ain't nowhere to quit.

Wayne

·
Premium Member
15,575 Posts
Welcome to my world Wayne. I am close to having an AAW harness installed along with the Raingear intermittent, two speed wipers, an aluminum heater core to handle the 14 pound cap i have on the new aluminum radiator.Oh and the Ididit column and power steering? Already done. It just never ends.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
originally i bought an ididit column and an aaw harness. the harness was nice to install and the column too, both still in the car. 7 years later still driving this thing like a mad man. never look back and if unsure whether the gas is low, always go to the pump and add more.

·
Premium Member
11,707 Posts
I completely understand. I have had mine for 37 years, took my drivers test in it when I was 16, I don't think it will ever truly be done, lol.

·
Premium Member
15,575 Posts
A kindred spirit.:sign0020: A lot of what I am doing is undoing things I did to the poor car when i was young and dumb.Apparently all I had was one spool of green wire for under dash upgrades. It makes for a real challenge to figure out just what the heck you are looking at since none are labelled.

·
Administrator
49,512 Posts
Apparently all I had was one spool of green wire for under dash upgrades. It makes for a real challenge to figure out just what the heck you are looking at since none are labelled.
That is another good thing about the AAW wiring, it is labeled all the way down each wire for what it goes to.;)
Terry

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Questions about where the AAW fuse box mounts. Someone said it mounts on the left kick panel. Is it visable? Is it in the way of your feet, the emergency brake handle or the fresh air vent and/or cable? Does it have a cover on it?

If someone has a picture of one of them already mounted, I would love to see it.

Thanks,

Wayne

1 - 20 of 42 Posts