Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Cocke County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
8,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have all new rubber bushings in the front end and I'm wondering if I made the wrong choice. How much ride comfort will I give up for the better handling of urethane? Normally the cars rides and handles pretty nice except for when I hit a sharp bump or a series of bumps then it's almost like I can feel the A arms flexing the bushings and the front end then wobbles quite a bit. I didn't use urethane because my previous experience with them in a more modern day vehicle left my teeth rattling when I went over bumps and I didn't want a ride like that either.

For the record the entire front end was rebuilt with all new tie rods and ball joints too. The steering box is original and tight with practically no play in the entire front end.

So what is your experience with rubber vs urethane in a tri five front end?

·
Registered
399 Posts
I would favor the rubber bushings. They provided a great compromise to ride and handling so long as you have not over-weighted the front end with big block power. Then you might want to consider the alternative.

That said, make sure that the durometer rating of your rubber bushings meet manufacturer spec's. Some companies may soften the rubber slightly to save in overhead figuring a customer may not notice.

The type of tires you run can also influence the sensations you're experiencing. Make sure your tire pressure is correct and that the sidewall stiffness is adequate for your application. As an example I have a '51 Chevy with tires that have a unusually soft sidewall. Whenever I hit washboards in the road, the car hops around like crazy. You'd think I was running no shocks.

Hope this helps.

·
Administrator
49,472 Posts
I have the polygraphite bushings from P-S-T on my 57, from front to rear. I personally don`t feel that it rides rough, and have a couple of friends that say it rides good also. It is a personal choice in my opinion.
Terry

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
A lot of the autocross guys I know absolutely HATE urethane for control arm bushings. They say go solid (del-a-lum, delrin, steel) or stick with the rubber. Rubber is fine on the street.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,691 Posts
Tony....Not all rubber bushings are created equal....There is a lot of difference between the Moog and lesser quality brands....Moog being the best.

·
Premium Member
11,669 Posts
I have had both. Did not care for the ride with the poly. Had them in the car for a coupleof years, Was stiffer than I was used to and the car rattled more because of how firm they are. Just went back to rubber. Just a matter of preference I guess.

·
Registered
Cocke County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
8,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I don't know what brand my bushings are, they came from PST about 20 years ago. (that was one of the last things I did on the car before it sat for about 18 years)

·
Banned
8,304 Posts
I have the polygraphite bushings from P-S-T on my 57, from front to rear. I personally don`t feel that it rides rough, and have a couple of friends that say it rides good also. It is a personal choice in my opinion.
Terry
I`m with Terry on this one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts