Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having trouble finding the radiator I want in stock. I don't want to wait the 3-6 weeks it will take to have it made and shipped.

I have found the model I want but it has a transmission cooler. I have a stick and don't need the cooler.

Can I use the radiator and just not hook up (or plug) the cooler lines?
Would it damage anything?
Would I lose any efficiency elsewhere?

I'm looking for a US Radiator 3 row, high efficiency, radiator without a transmission cooler for my 57 210 265 V8.

Any opinions would help.

-- Dennis

·
Registered
37,250 Posts
It shouldn't be any problem at all, unless it costs more.

I would plug the trans cooler inlet and outlet, just in case it would ever be used for an automatic in the future. You can get inverted flare plugs at the auto supply.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks -- this helps.

What about 4 row being thicker:

I have found lots of 4 row radiators but I have passed on them. I only have 1.5" clearance between the fan blades and the existing 2" radiator core, and since the 4 row ones are 5/8" thicker I figured 7/8" clearance would be too close for comfort. Does this make sense or is 7/8" enough clearance?

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Will not be a problem.
As mentioned plug/cap the outlets for the cooler and go.
Only issue may be if you have to mount in the 6 cyl position and do not have the cut outs in the lower cowl to accommodate the outlets, other wise go for it.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
It would be tight but i see no issue providing your engine and trans mounts are in good shape.
Keep in mind more core rows is not necessarily better to assist in cooling issues and may have the reverse effect and cause them.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Most of these radiators come with plastic plugs in the the tranny line port already. If you don't need the lines hooked up, just leave the plugs in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts