Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Well, a week ago today, I ordered a part from a vendor in Texas. Seeing how it had 10 days to get here, I made an appointment with my mechanic for installation this coming Thursday. As of today it hadn't arrived and I called the vendor. He said that he did ship it out last week via USPS but it was returned because I didn't have a valid address according to them. UNBELIEVEABLE. They are the ones that gave me this address 13 yrs. ago and since then, I have received my daily mail and other items from them, UPS and FedEx. Now they can't find me???? You have no idea how disappointed I am with this postal service. Does anyone really wonder why they are going bankrupt??? Does ineptness come to mind??? It does for me. The vendor has resent the part by FedEx and it should be here by this Friday. Will have to cancel and reschedule my appt. One other small question. Today I went to my local PO and saw on their door that they are closed daily between 1P-2:30P. I'm assuming this is for lunch?? I counted 4 people working inside. If, I'm right, does everyone have to go to lunch at the same time?? Couldn't someone work the counter?? And, closed for 1.5 hrs.??
I came close to asking those questions today but my wife was with me and she would have been embarrassed. So, next time I go alone, I'll give it a shot. What's the worse that can happen?? They can't find my address; again, Carmine.

·
Premium Member
7,601 Posts
Working?

Carmine-- I believe sorters and clerks are a different grade jobs. They don't do each others work. My wife works in a government job that requires her to have additional security clearance as she handles incoming checks. They can't even open mail without a person with this security clearance in attendance. Also has to be in a sealed room for security of reat of people. (anthrax and racin threats)

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Are you certain the vendor is not stalling you, did he give you a USPS tracker that shows it was returned? If not ask for one.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Are you certain the vendor is not stalling you, did he give you a USPS tracker that shows it was returned? If not ask for one.
That is what I was thinking. USPS is to blame. Just sayin

·
Premium Member
13,068 Posts
I sent out a item the other day to someone ,USPS ,,they got it looked like someone took their foot and jumped on several times and the person at the post office stamped it at least 8 to 10 times with the word FRAGILE ,,,,jezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :banghead:

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
They are not going bankrupt, they are a government agency. They are funded with taxes. They are not efficient, they are govenment. If they get better at treatment like you got, they'll be awarded bonuses.
Last time I shipped with them, they told me on a Monday the package would be delivered on Wednesday. It wasn't. I went with my reciept on Thursday and got the same clerk. She said it should have been delivered on Wednesday, but that's not a guarantee. It got there on Friday.

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Carmine - I've had no real problem with the PO but as many of you may recall - my problem with UPS and how they bashed in my returned radiator and it took six weeks before I replaced it...Not a fan of UPS...guess they all bash item sent. I order from Jeg, summit, etc and they usually ship out same day and deliver 1/2 days.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
I've used FedEx ups USPS they all have their problems. But most of the time they are good.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
55BigBlock,

You are correct. The USPS is NOT a government agency. Why do people keep thinking they are? NO TAX DOLLARS SUPPORT THE USPS. Rather he USPS pays in to the government. If it weren't for the Prefunding of Employee Health Benefits (for employees who have not even been hired by the USPS yet and is the only agency to have to do this) to the tune of 8 BILLION dollars a year. The USPS is mandated by Congress to do this for 75 years in a 10 year period of time. If not for this Government Legislation, the USPS would be making money. Congress sees the USPS as a "cash cow" and wants to get all it can from it by making the USPS raise it's rates to stay in business or looking at it another way - another form of hidden taxation. Facts are facts.

They are not perfect either as many of you seem to be. I know when something bad happens to you, it is a big problem - to somebody else, not so big. The USPS is a service industry and is dependent on it's people doing a good job. Unfortunately when you employ 400,000 people there will be a few clunkers, as with any other business. Try calling a large company such as GM and you will probably talk to someone overseas. Do you think they care about you? :anim_25: The USPS handles millions of pieces of mail each DAY and very few are damaged or lost. Just go for a drive or fly in an airplane - and remember that the USPS delivers/stops to EACH place six days a week. :congrats: A monumental task at that. What's the old saying, "walk a mile in my shoes". Just say'in.

:gba:

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
One more thing. Slim made a good point about the vendor stalling you. If the vendor is having issues getting parts out, who would he blame? Himself/business or the USPS? Or the old standby - a computer problem? It's always easier to shift the blame away from yourself. The business doesn't want to look bad. I've ordered stuff and have heard the same song about the shipping date. When package arrives I check to see when shipped. Invariably it is shipped AFTER the date business said. Unfortunately it is has become a good business practice to blame other people for their own mistakes. Just say'in.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
then there are the guys that don't order from their supplier 'till there are enough sales to justify the order from the supplier. I waited 6 WEEKS for some coilover shocks for my A, I bought/PAID FOR on ebay. If you don't have the part IN STOCK, don't sell it !!!

·
Administrator
66,105 Posts
So I`m guessing the item was returned to the vendor who had your details from when you made the purchase, why didnt somebody call you then?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Having been in the mail-order business for the past 23 years shipping costs have risen dramatically. We are currently using FedEx. We sell a lot to farmers restoring tractors. The surcharges for residential delivery, then another surcharge for rural residential delivery. So now and eight dollars shipping charge goes to $14 for one qt of paint. Get one item wrong on the address add another $10.Customers living outside of town, if possible have it shipped to a friend who owns a business, this will save you and the vendor shipping charges. As for the post office way too slow.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Pats 55,

I take it you have compared the USPS to other carriers when you say it is to slow? If not, why don't you ship with a flat rate Priority Box (box is free from Post Office) and see how much time it takes. It carries $50 minimum insurance and more if you like (very cheap) and tracking. No delivery fees or surcharges for home or business delivery, making it a cheaper service and as fast (in my opinion). Most people are swayed into how they perceive companies by what they hear and see on TV commercials. Not actual data. Try each company and let us know your results.

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
and remember that the USPS delivers/stops to EACH place six days a week. :gba:
And what a waste this is. Most of the stuff is junk mail anyway. Let's just go electronic on everything.
Then the only deliveries are parcels and puts USPS, UPS, Fedex and the others all on a level playing field. Right now it's not.

Look how much fuel will be saved. It will be a bunch.

Like it or not, this will eventually happen.

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I`m guessing the item was returned to the vendor who had your details from when you made the purchase, why didnt somebody call you then?
Interesting. Good question. They did have my info to do this. After I get my part, I will give them a call.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Pats 55,

I take it you have compared the USPS to other carriers when you say it is to slow? If not, why don't you ship with a flat rate Priority Box (box is free from Post Office) and see how much time it takes. It carries $50 minimum insurance and more if you like (very cheap) and tracking. No delivery fees or surcharges for home or business delivery, making it a cheaper service and as fast (in my opinion). Most people are swayed into how they perceive companies by what they hear and see on TV commercials. Not actual data. Try each company and let us know your results.
Yes we have used all three services from UPS, post office and now FedEx. Unfortunately we are in the paint and coatings business and it is very difficult to ship with USPS. Each location has a different story as to what is considered hazardous. I restore Avanti s and one of my suppliers uses the post office. I've been yelling at him for years to send it UPS or FedEx so I could get it the next day.I wish we could ship with USPS and avoid all the surcharges.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Carmine I bought a rifle stock for my 1938 Mosin Nagant Russian rifle off of e-bay. It stated ship in 3 days to my location by USPS priority mail. I tracked it on the USPS web site and for some reason it was mis-routed to a post office in the Bronx NY (3 days), as you know I live in northern Westchester NY. Well it sat in the Bronx post office for 3 weeks before someone decided HEY THIS DOESN'T BELONG HERE!!! No matter who I tried to call at the post office no one could do anything about it! Finally arrived after a 4 week wait. BTW it had the correct address and zip code on the label. No wonder they're broke!

Don

1 - 20 of 23 Posts