Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,361 Posts
Originally the fuel pump had vacuum ports that the wipers got the vacuum from.

·
Registered
7,361 Posts
You can also buy a vacuum pump. Never used them but I know high perf. engines need them for extra vacuum.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
JUst tell your wife the wipers don't work, buy the electric with intermitten speeds and all your worries are over. You would need to cut out the defroster duct (a saws-all) and you'll never look back. Charles :wavey:

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Never seen a Chevy V8 with a 2 stage fuel pump hooked to wipers but I have seen the rear of the carb used as the source on orginal 55-57.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
An interesting original vacuum source on my 1960 corvette's 283 V8 is the use of a hollow carb mounting stud installed in the manifold for the right rear carb mount nut. This may be useful to you. Available at C1 Corvette supply houses like Corvette Central.

Don

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my wife it tired of holding the string to work tihe wipers.i have two small ports and 1 big port on my holley can i was one of these ports

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
An interesting original vacuum source on my 1960 corvette's 283 V8 is the use of a hollow carb mounting stud installed in the manifold for the right rear carb mount nut. This may be useful to you. Available at C1 Corvette supply houses like Corvette Central.

Don
You are correct I forgot those existed

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Pro,you don't have to remove the defroster duct for the electric wipers. I've done so much to mine that I get the cart before the horse sometimes. Sorry, but, do consider the electric ones. Love mine. Charles :wavey:

·
Registered
226 Posts
As long as the vacuum port is BELOW the throttle plates and therefore exposed to full intake manifold vacuum.
Some vacuum ports on a carburetor are not exposed to vacuum ALL the time the engine is running, so it might be a trial & error process when using the carb.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts