Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been rebuilding my wiper motor.
I made new gaskets from gasket material and now they don't work at all.
Is the gaskets made from something else?
Also, I noticed the cables on the pulleys is not tight.
Is there a way to tighten the cables?
I'd appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks,
Tom

·
Administrator
66,133 Posts
Not good to hear Tom, as you know you need vacum to run the wipers, you may also need to raise the revs to get them going, sometimes the resistance on a dry windscreen is hard for the motor to overcome so you may need to wet it.

The gaskets should be the same I would think as a carby type.
Make sure that the wiper switch is activating the plastic slider on the wiper motor.

If all else fails go electric staright swap over with the vacum type (probably not what you want to hear).

Your cables can be tighten from under the dash, there are nuts that hold the post on the drivers & passenger side, loosen and move then re tighten, also one cable should be crossed over to the centre drum.

·
Premium Member
11,687 Posts
Save yourself the aggravation and send the unit to Ficken in New York. They did mine about 10 years ago and not a moments trouble. The gaskets may not be the issue, the paddle may be shot as well.

·
Premium Member
50,811 Posts
Before spending too much, check the prices of electric wipers....I did and am glad. :bowtieb:
:gba:
bowtie-trifive

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,713 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,687 Posts
Correct, that's Ficken. Really the best when it comes to vacuum wipers. I think it's like 120 or so to have one rebuilt no. Was 100 when I had mine done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts