Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
passenger side of engine is very hot causing a vapor lock,change fuel pump twice,new gas tank,cleaned all lines,rebuilt carb,even went as far as to drop exhaust on that side to see if it was cloged,checked timming,changed t-stat.i am all out of ideas,lines run on the outside of frane,283 elobrock/holley doesnt make a differant. help!!!!!

·
Premium Member
19,669 Posts
passenger side of engine is very hot causing a vapor lock,change fuel pump twice,new gas tank,cleaned all lines,rebuilt carb,even went as far as to drop exhaust on that side to see if it was cloged,checked timming,changed t-stat.i am all out of ideas,lines run on the outside of frane,283 elobrock/holley doesnt make a differant. help!!!!!
Hav u tried puttn a cover over fuel line that runs up along motor to carb,< theres fuel line insulation, that comes in different sizes and structuallymade do a search,

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the problen is that ,that side of the car is hot,very hot fender is allso hot,but the temp @ rad.is 165.when it hits that temp.gas starts to vapor and temp start to go up.had a 185 t--stat in ther and put a 165.i will try that.the other side is not hot,it has the p/s,alt,there

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I've never heard of a fender getting hot. Are you running headers? If so wrap them with heat insulation. I would get an IR gun and start by shooting the temps at the exhaust for each cylinder on both sides to get an accurate idea of whats going on with the heat. Sounds like something is going on here. Then verify the temps at the radiator. Shoot the upper hose and the lower hose. Your car is modified so you could always run and electric fuel pump mounted on the inner fender. Good luck,

Don

P.S. You did dial in the carb right? It's not running too lean?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no i have stock manifolds duel exhaust 2/21".temp @ top of rad.is 165 dont know what it is at bottom . engine .60 boaded. have had this engine for 25 years ,but not put a lot of miles on it.drove it to virgina beach with no problem 15 years ago then havent drove it very much sence then.now that i an retired i want to drive it all the time no its not running to leal plugs look good

·
Registered
607 Posts
no i have stock manifolds duel exhaust 2/21".temp @ top of rad.is 165 dont know what it is at bottom . engine .60 boaded. have had this engine for 25 years ,but not put a lot of miles on it.drove it to virgina beach with no problem 15 years ago then havent drove it very much sence then.now that i an retired i want to drive it all the time no its not running to leal plugs look good
Hello You could try the old remedy for vapor lock,and it works,Put clothes pins the spring type about say an inch apart or closer along the fuel line where you think the problem is.It will work,i guess it stays cool at the clothes pins and it can't vapor lock,JMO GOOD LUCK RICH

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
You said you were running stock exhaust manifolds. does the right side still have the flapper in it where the pipe connects. if so remove it it may be disfunctional and not letting the exhaust out, therefore creating a lot of heat . another thing I always di is put intake gaskets on that don't have the crossover opening for the exhaust port. It greatly reduces temps in the intake manifold, helping vapor lock problems. also make sure you have a good vent on the gas tank .:happy0030:

·
Premium Member
8,575 Posts
Electric Fuel Pump...?

change fuel pump twice, help!!!!!
If your fuel pump is mechanical, and your problem persist, I'd suggest trying an electric fuel pump back near the fuel tank away from the heat and see if that solves it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I don't understand how one side can be that much hotter either but...:confused0006:

I am experiencing similiar problems so put this in the for what it's worth category. You are ahead of me in some of your trouble shooting. I re-defined my problem to a "loss of fuel". All of the symptoms are just like a vapor lock, specifically only happens when everything is warmed up.

I have come to the conclusion that the root of the problem is today's blended fuel, Ethanol E10. There is a lot of posting on the car forums about vapor lock, loss of fuel and the problems that this blended fuel is causing us old car guys. Specifically if you have a carburetored car older than about 10/15 years, you are going to have problems with this fuel. They simply were not made to run this stuff and you have got to re-engineer your car for it because you can't buy any other fuel! Thank you uncle sam!

E10 does all kinds of bad things to old fuel systems. You indicated you had already cleaned out your fuel system so I'll skip those suggestions. It's what I'm working through now for my problem.

E10 is more prone to vapor locking fuel systems. So to confirm it's a vapor lock try getting some fuel that doesn't have ethanol in it. About the only place you will be able to find any is a speed shop selling racing fuel (VP is probably the biggest most popular brand) or maybe some aviation fuel. Buying either of these fuels is not a straight forward pull up and gas up your car. They don't pay any road use tax on it so they won't pump it into a licensed automobile. You will have to take some containers and get it that way. Oh, by the way expect to pay ~+4.00/gallon.

Now running this kind of fuel may not be a long term soultion for ya so back to the heat problem.

Best solution, get the heat out. Try running with out a hood and see if it vapor locks. If it does I would start looking at a couple of things, 1) moving more air - electric fans, 2) start insulating everything close to the fuel system. I have seen a couple of suggestions to use a wood or phenolic space between the carburetor and the intake manifold to at least slow down the heat soak. I have also seen a specific heat shield for shielding the fuel lines going into the carburetor. Start insulating the fuel lines, Thermo Tec is a brand that comes to mind for this type of fuel line insulation wrap. Best source I have seen for some of this stuff is Jegs, http://www.jegs.com/

To learn some more about this E10 fuel and what to do about it, Gold Eagle, the maker of Sta-Bil has a really good page on their web site" The 411 on Ethanol Everything you need to know about the Ethanol in your fuel and your equipment!"

http://www.goldeagle.com/engine_care/411onethanol.aspx

Like I said I'm fighting the same problem so do let us / me know how you make out on this and good luck!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
just to let u know i have not taken uot my car sence this started hapening runs out fuel sitting in the garage or driveway with the hood up.u can see the gas slowly go away.thi problem just not go away.i ve had my car for 36 years and i did most of the work myself

·
Registered
36,125 Posts
What you need to do is look for a restriction in your fuel line. I'd start at the tank and pull the fuel pickup/sender assembly. See if the "sock" on the end of the pickup is restricted. Replace it even if it's not, they are very cheap.

Do you have a filter in the fuel line between the tank and pump? If it is a fine filter (10 or 20 microns) then that's no good, it needs to be 100 microns or coarser, or just get rid of it. Also look for bent or kinked hoses or steel lines between the tank and pump.

Also make sure you don't have a venting problem. Take the fuel filler cap off and run it in the driveway without it. A 55 or 56 doesn't have a vented cap, but there's 2 notches in the cap seat that provide venting. Not sure about a 57, but someone knows.

Vapor lock is overrated, usually it's a restriction.

Also this business about clothespins, what a bunch of BS. And the 10% ethanol won't cause problems either. You just need to get down to the basics of your fuel delivery system and fix some problem you haven't found yet.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
new sock on the pickup, took all lines down and cleaned them. filter is a glass mr.gasket by the carb,all lines are away from exhaust,just the heat from the passenger side of motor

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
car is not hard to start when its hot,but still no fuel in filter.let sit for long while filter fills back up till it gets warmed up again

·
Registered
13,410 Posts
I say after all you've done, it's in the carb.
I don't see anything else it can be.

I know you rebuilt it. But they can be finicky sometimes. You may have missed the problem.
I've rebuilt many a carburetors in my day and I can remember a couple that gave me fits that I tossed for new ones.

Got another carb to try?

1 - 20 of 76 Posts