Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Can't answer your question but love the sound of a velocity stack at WOT...

·
Premium Member
8,575 Posts
Black Foam

Does anyone know if replacement filters are available for an older Velocity Stack???
LoneSpar, the material used for the old original Velocity Stacks was simply Black Foam cut to shape to fit. you can find it at most Hobby stores.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Didn't think of that, go to Lowe's an look at a sheet of air conditioner filter... It comes in various thicknesses and foam densities...

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After the original had turned to dust, I had tried foam, but when the foam was sanwiched between the two screens, it became to dense for air to pass through. (I have had this Aircleaner since 1982. It was oriinally on a friends 56 Bel Air 2 dr Post, then it was on my Cameo, then my Panel......) The Lowes suggestion sounds hopeful. I will give it a shot!!!!
Thanks!

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
After the original had turned to dust, I had tried foam, but when the foam was sanwiched between the two screens, it became to dense for air to pass through. (I have had this Aircleaner since 1982. It was oriinally on a friends 56 Bel Air 2 dr Post, then it was on my Cameo, then my Panel......) The Lowes suggestion sounds hopeful. I will give it a shot!!!!
Thanks!
There is two types of foam,open and closed cell. You need open cell for air to pass thru.
Jim

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
How did you find that Dave? I looked and looked and could find it no where.
Good job!

·
Premium Member
8,575 Posts
good goin' Dave !!

There is two types of foam,open and closed cell. You need open cell for air to pass thru.
Jim
Yes, as Jim stated, it has to be the right type of foam or it'll restrict flo, which is what I was refering. But Hey, glad to see Dave's research paid off, and though you'll pay a premium since they've simply cut it into the right shape, you know you're getting the right kind of black foam for sure. However, after you recieve that one from Mr. Gasket, I'd still suggest taking that with you to Lowes or a Hobby shop and matching it up with a larger sheet of the same stuff, then cutting to fit yourself as needed, it'd save you some money in the long run. :tu

·
Powder Coating Tech
924 Posts
I had a guy bring me two velocity stacks that he wanted powder coated black for his rat rod he was building, how ever these won't hold the filters like you are inquiring about !

·
Registered
219 Posts
I had a "fly eye" air cleaner I was looking for a filter for, and it's the same material. After some thinking, I decided to try one of the K&N type filter tops. I found one on e-bay for like $18, took the filter element out, and used it in the fly eye. I did have to use a chromed flat nut assy in the middle to close the hole, but it was about 3/4" and looked really good. The re-usable part was something I liked, and even better, a back fire wouldn't destroy it like the foam.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
"Teardrop Trailer" !!!!

How about some pictures of the "Teardrop"??? Those little trailers are awesome!!! :)

Sorry for Hyjacking the Blog, but it was answered and after all - - we're talking about a "Teardrop"!!!:wavey:

·
Registered
258 Posts
You're supposed to have a filter in the velocity stack?:confused0024::character0029:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts