Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Vent cables

880 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  freedum57 
#1 ·
Hi there. Can anyone tell me of a method for cleaning the inside of the vent/heater control cables. Mine are hard to move and I think they need some kind of light lubrication. Don

#2 ·
WD-40?

If it were me - I'd spray WD-40 onto the cables and work them back & forth from the panel. Maybe someone else has a better method. :)

#5 ·
I used PB Blaster to kill/disolve the rust. It does a better job than WD, when it comes to rust. I put the cable in the vise, and pulled it in a curve to open the coils on the cable, sprayed PB, and the let them sit for a few days. I hit them 1 a day, and when I got them sliding, I washed themout w/ carb cleaner, and lubed w/WD....

#6 ·
Did mine a month ago
i disconnected them from behind the panel switchs then soaked them with crc (wd 40) then with my hand in the vent tube and a pair of pliers on the other end worked them back and forward till free enough to connect back to switchs
they work great now :tu

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.