Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got two questions for upcoming projects on my 56 Chevy 2 door sedan.

1. The vent windows. All of my glass is nice except both vent windows. They're fogged and delaminating on the edges.

Has anyone replaced just the vent glass without removing the entire assembly from the door? Looks like I could remove the old, and slide in the new with bedding tape.

2. I have Vintage Air. I want to remove the speaker bezel/clock assembly.

Because of the VA unit, there is little to NO access to the 2 nuts that hold the chrome bezel on.

Any tricks? Anybody move or loosen the entire VA system to get access to the nuts. Don't want to do that if I don't have to.

TIA.

Chuck

·
Registered
607 Posts
Hello your first question on the vent window,yes i changed mine by just removing the glass,the org.fell out,then i put the new tape and glass,I think it worked well,been three yrs.GOOD LUCK RICH

·
Premium Member
8,575 Posts
Tried an Air Rachet ??

NO access to the 2 nuts that hold the chrome bezel on. Any tricks? Anybody move or loosen the entire VA system to get access to the nuts. Don't want to do that if I don't have to. TIA. Chuck
Chuck, you got that right, I installed VA in mine and there's no way I would want to go through all that again. The only thing I might suggest is if you had a 3/8" air rachet, as I recall, you should have enough room to push it up between there and get the socket over the nut. if so, you'd just have to have enough room to activate the rachet and not have to rotate a wrench, you might be able to get to it that way. That's all I can think of, good luck !! BDR

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have enough room to get a box/open end wrench up there, let alone an air ratchet. :D I even tried some thin "ignition wrenches".

I could take the glove box out, and might get better access to the "drivers side" nut.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
8,575 Posts
Puzzled...

I don't have enough room to get a box/open end wrench up there, let alone an air ratchet. :D I even tried some thin "ignition wrenches". I could take the glove box out, and might get better access to the "drivers side" nut. Chuck
Chuck, you must have a differant model Vintage Air package than I have, as you can see, early on in my project, after installing the VA unit, I have plenty of room between the bottom of the Dash and the back side of my particular VA unit. However, if your VA unit is "thicker" , I think you are correct, your easiest access may be through the glove box.

I also have a Windshield wiper motor assembly mounted below that speaker bezel and still have room to reach up to access those nuts... :hammer: sorry I couldn't be of more help...

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My VA unit is an early one, installed by the previous owner of my car in the mid 90's. My VA box appears to be much thicker.

I have about 1/2 to 3/4 inch space between the back of the metal dashboard and the VA unit. :eek:

Chuck

·
Premium Member
15,210 Posts
Chuck, Take out your clock and go in through the hole with a 1/4" drive flex head ratchet. To remove the clock push in and rotate it about 1/8 of a turn counterclockwise and it will pull out. You can also take out the glove box and clock and reach both nuts from the glove box hole. :anim_25:

-Bruce

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chuck, Take out your clock and go in through the hole with a 1/4" drive flex head ratchet. To remove the clock push in and rotate it about 1/8 of a turn counterclockwise and it will pull out. You can also take out the glove box and clock and reach both nuts from the glove box hole. :anim_25:

-Bruce
The PO put in a blue numeral digital clock. I don't like the looks of it. Doesn't "match" the stock look of the interior, and I've got a digital clock on/in the radio already.

I've tried to get the clock out, but have come to the conclusion that it's mounted from the back too. It won't twist out like your standard clock. So, I'm sorta stuck. :D

Chuck

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
:)Don't really remember, but if you took of the toe kick panel would that give you any more access to the passenger side nut? You might also be able to slide a small mirror in and see how the clock is fastened? As mentioned going in thru the glove box may work for the drivers side nut?
You might also be able to slide a small rachet with extension and swivel head and reach the other nut? Again you may need to have another set of hands and a mirror to guide you?

Good luck.

Don, aka.....the hamsman

1 - 9 of 9 Posts