Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There was a recent post concerning installation of vent window seals. I am in the process now and this is the way I am doing it on a 2door post sedan.

You may have a better method. If so, please let us all know.

If you find any thing here that needs to be corrected, please let me know.

VENT WINDOW SEAL REPLACEMENT
2 door post sedan​

This is the method that I used - others may have a better method.

Nomenclature:

The vent window assembly is the unit as removed from the door(s)

The vent glass frame is the unit that opens and closes including the “D” shaped Chrome and the Vent Glass

The vent window frame is the part riveted to the long channel frame

1. First remove the vent window assemblies from the doors. After removing them use a marking pen and mark them “DRIVER” or “PASSENGER” on both the long channel frame and the outside back of the vent window frame as appropriate. If you remove the seals and disassemble the vent glass frame from both assemblies at the same time, you will need to know which unit you are working on when you start replacing the seals and reassembling the unit.

2. Remove the “D” shaped seal that the vent glass seats in by cutting it away or whatever method you find easiest.

3. Once the seal is removed, you can remove the vent glass frame from the assembly by moving it down toward the large (bottom) pivot shaft until the top small pivot shaft has dropped down out of the top pivot hole, and carefully rotate tilt the vent glass frame until you can slide the top pivot pin out of the frame groove and then lift the vent glass frame out of the vent window frame. Mark it “Driver” or “PASSENGER” and set them aside. If you are not going to replace the glass or glass frame nothing else has to be done to them.

4. Take one of the assemblies and remove the top fuzzy (or the metal remains of the channel) by sliding it towards the top of the channel. This will expose the tabs that hold the vertical rubber seal for the vent glass. Bend the tabs up and then pry the seal out of the channel.

5. Using a drill press with a long series 5/16 drill will work best for this step; however, you can with caution use a hand drill with a long series 5/16 drill. Place the frame on the drill press table with the channel positioned with the dimpled ends of the rivets facing up. The vent window frame will be up. Using a 5/16 drill carefully drill the dimpled end of the rivets until you have removed only the flange of the rivet. DO NOT DRILL THROUGH THE VERTICAL CHANNEL FRAME. You will be removing 5 rivet flanges in the lower section below the vent frame and one at the very top of the vent frame. This will allow you to pivot the vent frame away from the Vertical Channel Frame when you are ready to install the vent glass frame.

6. Now you can clean up any rust and paint with a rust inhibiting light grey paint before installing the vent window seal. If you covered up the “DRIVER” - “PASSENGER” with paint re mark them.

7. If you are installing the “DRIVER” vent window seal select the two pieces of seal that are marked “L” and the assembly marked “DRIVER” (Hopefully you remembered to mark them again after painting) and set the other two pieces and the “PASSENGER” assembly aside where you wont pick them up while you are working on the “DRIVER” assembly.

8. Start installing the “L” marked D shaped seal into the frame. Where one of the bends is in the seal slide it down on the leg of the frame so that it seats in the inside of the channel and the end is at the stop of the groove of the seal. Do the same thing with the other end of the seal. Now comes the hard part. Press one side of the seal into the channel and then press the other side of the seal into the channel so that it is locked into the channel. You may have to fold the thin part of the seal back and use a wide blade screw driver and carefully push the seal down and into the channel. BE CAREFUL so that you don’t damage the seal. Make sure the seal is seated all around the channel.

9. Once the D seal is installed, look at the ends that will meet with the ends of the vertical seal. You may see a small window. It should be a slot opening toward the inside of the seal. If it is not a slot, carefully cut the flashing away on the edge of the flange of the seal that will be facing the outside of the assembly (outside of the car). SEE PIC 1 & 2 BELOW

10. Take the vent window glass assembly for the drivers side and insert the large pivot shaft down through the seal and vent window frame. Carefully pull down on the bottom of the vent window frame only enough to allow the top pivot to clear the seal and slid into the top pivot hole of the vent window frame and release the vent window frame. If you haven’t pulled it too far it should return very close to it’s original position (shape).

11. Take the Vertical vent seal marked “L” and orient it in the proper position for mounting in the vertical channel. (On Danchuck seals the “L” will be near the “L” on the D seal) The small rubber flap should face toward the outside of the long channel frame (outside of the car). Dab a very small amount of BLACK RTV on each end of the vertical seal and insert the ends into the slots that you made in step 9 above.

12. Carefully pivot the vent window frame towards the vertical channel frame. Make sure all the tabs of the vertical seal pass though vertical channel frame and rivet the vent window frame, at the bottom, to the vertical channel frame in the top hole only. Once the vent window frame is riveted in place, bend the tabs over to hold the vertical seal in place. Now you can rivet the top of the vent window frame to the vertical channel frame near where you were pivoting it.

13. Install the top Fuzzy by sliding it down from the top into the long channel frame

14. Slip the bottom fuzzy (it may need to be trimmed for length) into the long channel frame and using an awl punch a hole into the fuzzy through the rivet holes, remove and clear the hole for the rivets, replace and rivet in place (head of rivet should be on the fuzzy side of the channel) and also rivet the bottom hole of the vent window frame to the long channel frame.

15. Repeat this procedure for the remaining assembly

Attachments

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
What an awesome post. I am getting ready to do mine and this will greatly help.Thanks for spending so much time with post. Its truly appreciated.
Gasserdan - you are more than welcome. One thing I for got to mention - after drilling the flange off the dimple ends of the rivet, support the Long channel over something hollow with a hole big enough to let the head of the rivet pass through and carefully drive the rivet out of the hole from the side you just removed the flange from.

The first 2 pics below show where I cut away for the vertical seal

The 3rd pic shows the vertical seal inserted in the window formed by cutting away in the first 2 pics

The 4th pic shows the vertical seal inserted into the main seal

Only remove the rivets that go through the man long channel. I made the mistake of removing the pivot rivet (see left end of pic 4 ) when I did this asm.

The last pic is the asm with the seals and fuzzys removed

Please let me know how this worked for you.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More Photos

Added More Photos

On First Unit I removed the rivet that I said not to remove - this made it difficult to assemble - it is much easier to leave that rivet in and pivot the assembly to close it and then rivet the bottom to gether

Attachments

·
Registered
582 Posts
Had both vent seals in mine replaced not too long ago. Both still leak a bit when I wash the car. They both leak in the same spot - right at the lower pivot point in the middle. I end up with a bit of water on both floor mats. I have learned not to spray directly at that point. Hope both of your seals turn out better.

Thad

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Had both vent seals in mine replaced not too long ago. Both still leak a bit when I wash the car. They both leak in the same spot - right at the lower pivot point in the middle. I end up with a bit of water on both floor mats. I have learned not to spray directly at that point. Hope both of your seals turn out better.

Thad
Hi Thad, sorry to hear that - have you tried to put a sealant (Vaseline or something similar) in the shaft hole that wont seize on the shaft but will keep the water out? - After 5 years of tear down, I just started reassembling my 57 so It will be spring sometime before I find out if they leak at all.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thank you Thank you for this post! Very helpful.
:congrats:

I managed to get my vent window in and out of the big D without undoing any of the rivets. Wasn't too tough. Pushed it down into the rubber and got the top post into the slot.

To get the D rubber into the channel I used a plastic screen door tool with
rollers on each side. No damage to the rubber.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
GREAT JOB Red - Glad the post helped you - is there anything you would do differently, or more easily?
went pretty easy after I got the old stuff cleaned off. the only thing i notice was the fuzzy channel mine is a little bit taller so I would guess that would go toward the inside thanks again:shakehands:

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
Bill, on the picture above that said "Do Not Remove this Rivet" doesn't this rivet go through the replacement fuzzy channel that you are installing. If so, how can you do this without removing the rivet.

When I disassembled mine, that rivet went through the side of the fuzzy channel. I had to remove it to get the old worn out fuzzy strip out.

Wayne

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bill, on the picture above that said "Do Not Remove this Rivet" doesn't this rivet go through the replacement fuzzy channel that you are installing. If so, how can you do this without removing the rivet.

When I disassembled mine, that rivet went through the side of the fuzzy channel. I had to remove it to get the old worn out fuzzy strip out.

Wayne
Wayne - The rivet only goes through the frame - if you only remove the bottom rivet, it allows the frame and glass frame to pivot around that top rivet

·
Registered
203 Posts
Wayne - The rivet only goes through the frame - if you only remove the bottom rivet, it allows the frame and glass frame to pivot around that top rivet

i agree 110% with Wayne; the rivet you did not remove absolutely goes through the old felt channel; that rivet has to be removed to remove the old felt channel and to properly install the new felt channel; link below are instructions from Eckler's which say to remove that rivet
http://www.classicchevy.com/assets/pdf/classicchevy/13-17.pdf

1 - 20 of 46 Posts