Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one quick question, on my 56, is the rear end vented. I do not see the typical rubber hose as I have seen on other cars, or is there a vent that is tapped into the housing.
Hurry, I would like the answer by the morning

Thanks guys. bowtie-trifive

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
55,380 Posts

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guys, do think if that vent is closed up, the pinion seal will leak because of the pressure build up? The reason I ask is because all of the sudden my seal is leaking, and before I start to add a new seal, if I have too, maybe the seal is good, but the pressure is up causing the leak.
What do you think?

·
Administrator
70,785 Posts
Guys, do think if that vent is closed up, the pinion seal will leak because of the pressure build up? The reason I ask is because all of the sudden my seal is leaking, and before I start to add a new seal, if I have too, maybe the seal is good, but the pressure is up causing the leak.
What do you think?
It may cause the pinion seal to leak, I would unblock :anim_25:

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ok, I got the drive shaft off, but I can't get the yoke nut off. I have used deep creep penetrating lub, is there any secret to get this off.........and of coarse it's rightie tightie,leftie loseie .....right
I want to mention,I do not have a air ratchet, I mean impact wrench

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update......all done. I used my breaker bar with an extension on it, at least 4 more feet and it loosened up the first time. It was hell getting that seal out of there but once I showed it who was boss, it gave up and came popping out.
Get this, I do not see any vent on this rear end and I checked it pretty good....umm I 'm wondering when they welded some brackets for ladder traction bars they took it off.
Anyway thanks guys for your help, Tri Five rules..........bowtie-trifive :shakehands:

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The vent is on the driver side axle tube. Below the muffler hanger in the attched pic. :anim_25:
Yep that is what I expected to see, but I do not see anything like that. Could it be that the rear end has been changed at some point or as I stated before, they took it off when they welded some ladder traction bars back in it's racing days. Hmmmm.

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
I will add that if your vent is missing or has been welded over when the ladder bars were installed, do whatever you must to install one even if it means pulling your housing out, popping the axles and dropping the 3rd member so you can drill a new hole, clean out metal shavings and fit one. If you have no hole and must begin from scratch, locate your vent high on the housing rather than down on an axle tube as the OEM vent is located. If you want to add a hose as well, it can be done by using a barbed fitting rather than a breather vent with a floating cap as the original is.

Happy Motoring,

Harry

·
Registered
94 Posts
Both of my axle seals are leaking, the drivers side worse than the right. I have the axles pulled and dropped off at the shop. We talked about checking the vent, something that I had planned regardless. Not finding the vent, I searched this thread to find the location. Looking on the top of the axle tube, there it is... It's just a hole, not threaded, smooth. Where can someone find a press-in vent?

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
Both of my axle seals are leaking, the drivers side worse than the right. I have the axles pulled and dropped off at the shop. We talked about checking the vent, something that I had planned regardless. Not finding the vent, I searched this thread to find the location. Looking on the top of the axle tube, there it is... It's just a hole, not threaded, smooth. Where can someone find a press-in vent?
The vndors have them but I think they are a little overpriced. They are just pressed in, not threaded like Ecklers' says. .... http://www.classicchevy.com/chevy-rear-axle-vent-tube-1955-1957.html .... Maybe someone has a used one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.