Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello trifive

I am building a 210 wagon and doing some minor mods to it. My dad is parting out a 72 vette and it looks like I can use the front suspension and box with little modifications, the upper ball joints fit good in the vette spindles and I have ball joint sleeves coming for the lowers to fit the vette spindle. I am trying use the 57 upper and lower A frames. Have you heard of anyone trying this or can you think of any major problems I will come across.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
I told a vette owner once "Nice parts car." He gave me a really dirty look, hahhahha.
LOL Yep a friend of mine just bought a 91 vette and i told him if you wreck that thing i will buy your front and rear suspension. He looked at me and said why the suspension and i told him they work better in a Tri-Five:D

·
12,256 Posts
I'm pretty sure Rick_L on this forum is using the same spindles on his car. I think it's a taller spindle that creates better geometry and accepts disc brakes easily. Look for some of his posts, or maybe he'll chime in here.

·
Registered
37,493 Posts
I put C3 Corvette spindles and brakes on my car. As Chevynut said, they are taller - this gives you better camber gain and roll center migration geometry than the stock spindles. They also have a different king pin angle which gives you a better scrub radius with big tires and wide wheels. The brakes have 12" rotors and when everything is mounted up, the wheels are only moved out about 3/8" per side, which is the same as most of the dropped spindles out there.

The stock top ball joint fits correctly in the spindle. The lower ball joint pin on the Corvette is bigger than the stock 55-57 ball joint pin. To get around this I machined a tapered bushing for the lower ball joint pin hole in the spindle.

The stock steering arms bolt up to the Corvette spindle with no problems, and you have full steering travel.

The upper control arms need to be about 3/4" shorter than stock. I lucked out on my installation - I already had a pair of CCI/Concept One tubular arms that were relatively easy to modify with a little cutting, welding, and re-drilling the ball joint mounting holes.

The only other thing is the front mounted brake calipers hit my sway bar at full turn. I heated and bent the sway bar to fix that. I have a Hellwig 5721 bar. I think that will happen with all or most of the sway bars that have a link type mount to the control arms. If you use a Hellwig 5711 sway bar I think it will clear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts