Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My best friend bought this truck new when he was 18 years old. Sadly he died earlier this year and his widow asked me if I wanted his truck.. Well, yeah! It will bring me great memories of Dr. Moffett to restore and drive. Their home on their ranch here in Texas burned in 1988 and the original title was lost in the fire. I have looked at online sources for ID'ing the truck. Thee is no tag inside the door but on the frame rail, drivers side just behind the front crossmember is an apparent VIN number----

This does not jive with the below pasted instructions> Help!

1955 2nd Series (First of the "Task Force" trucks)

With the '55 2nd series came some more changes. The first symbol was the code for the Series of the truck (1/2-ton, 3/4-ton etc.) and the second symbol was a "2" for second series of '55 trucks. The 3rd and 4th symbols were the year, and then came the plant symbol. Last of course, was the sequence number (6 digits and started with 001001 at each plant).

Example -- H255J000101

Series Series Model Year Factory Code Production Order
H 2 55 J 001101

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,959 Posts
It is probably like passenger cars, the model code is not stamped on the frame vin but is on the door post. The 4th digit in your number is probably a O and not a zero, for Okland plant.
Also, in 1955 in Texas, the engine number was used for ID instead of the vin unless it was changed at some time at the DMV.
Have the widow/estate apply for a lost title trying both numbers. If it hasn't been registered in the last 10 years, it may not be in the DMV system at all. If they have any old insurance policies on the truck, the vin or engine # will be on there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for the info Don. I'll try the engine and rail number. The truck has been sitting since 1980 so acording to your info they will have no record of anyone owning it. I t comes from a small community in Chilecothe, Texas and there are many people that can vouche for my friend owning it since new. Do you think given the circumstances it will have to be titled as an abandoned vehicle if no records no longer exist privately or in government records? Mayo

·
26,959 Posts
I would try to get the estate to get a lost title first. There may be records on it but even if not, they may reissue a title to the estate. :anim_25:

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
you can file for a bonded title if nothing else works out. i had to for my 54 ford truck. even with the vin it is not in the system.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Should be as simple as having the executor of the estate file an affidavit with DPS affirming the estate recieved it thru death of original owner and is transferring it to you - but you will need the original VIN to avoid having a new VIN (with subsequent universal numbering system) created. I did the same with a 68 Camaro that had dropped out of the system when abandonded on my uncles land - he filed the aff declaring that it was abandnded on his land and I had title for 45.00 plus registration fee.

Let us know - this is something that folks who like old cars encounter quite often!

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Vin on the frame

There is a vin on the frame on 55 thru 59 trucks under the hood between the emergency brake bracket and the steering sector. It should match your title.:anim_25: Randall

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In Texas the VIN number was the engine serial number instead the number on the door plate. The truck is down to a bare frame now so both frame numbers are easily visible and the door plate number as well. The door plate number differs only by having an H preceding the frame rail numbers. Problem is that the engine had been replaced with a rebult motor years ago. The truck literaly has no recorded owner, the same as an abandoned truck. There is a possibility that the truck was bought in California instead of Texas. If this was the case would the VIN number be the door tag number and could I check California records for title? Otherwise I will have to apply for a reassigned number which in Texas means that the truck will have to be running and driveable before they will issue it to me. This is AFTER I have invested a buttload of money and time into the project. Leaves me with a somewhat uneasy feeling! :sign0020:

·
26,959 Posts
Did the truck have license plates or a sticker? They should indicate which state it was last registered. If it was transferred to Texas after 1956, it would have used the VIN # on the title. Most states dump all records if there hasn't been any registration on the vehicle in 10 years or so. They don't understand that we work on them for a lot longer than 10 years before we ever drive them again. :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It was driven on the large ranch only(off road) for the last 10 years so no plates, no sticker. Title and insurance papers went up in smoke with a house fire in 1988. Sounds like I proceed without a title for now> Darnit! Thanks for the suggestions. Open to more. Mayo

·
Registered
483 Posts
We don't really have a DMV per se...yet - just passed some new legislation creating one but still have a weird system in place. All of veh titling and registration is handled by county court clerks. About fours ago I think was when the "dmv" legislation passed and they now have a state office to call into with questions but mostly still get a different answer from each county regarding titling and paperwork needs - heck even sometimes regarding the law itself! I had a tough time insuring my truck - the ins co wanted the O (oakland plant) in the number while our county clerk wanted it to be 0 (zero) - the two would not match. the county won so now my title does not truly "match" my vin plate.

And licensing is done by the Department of Public Safety - our state police.

Nothing like I was used to in Cal or you are in Az!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts