Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am having trouble getting my 1957 chev registered in Western Australia
The department of Transport is telling me that The Vin number on my 57 is incorrect.
They don't care that my import papers show the Kansas number so I need to find proof that Kansas created their own numbers.
I remember someone on this site told me a few years ago that Kansas created their own Vin number and removed the original Chev vin numbers.
I have tried to find this info on line but I can find anything about it.
Can anyone give me any document details of this happening.

this would be greatly appreciated.

thank you

Maca Western Australia

Font Material property Rectangle Parallel Pattern
Gas Font Machine Temperature Office equipment

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
That is a perfectly good VIN plate, depending on circumstances the KHP will assign a new number or reconstruct the original number if possible. My home built Car trailers have that same plate with a KS number.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the input, I just spent hours on The Kansas H/way Patrol site and wasted money on many VIN search sites, none of them show my Vin number and their is nothing on The Kansas H/patrol site re old VIN numbers.
I dont know what to do.
I cant find an email address for the Kansas Highway patrol, their is one on their site that just comes back to me every time saying wrong email.
it becoming harder to register my 57 that restore it 🙁

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I put this up the other day but put IN number by mistake.

I desperately need some proof that Kansas state issued their own VIN number back in the late 50s.
My Local department of Transport will not register my 1957 chev because the VIN number does not come up in any search and does not match the Chevy VIN number of the period.

I have told them the above but the want proof.
I have spent 9 years restoring it and now I cant get it registered because of this.
I also I cant find any email address that works for the Kansas Highway patrol, the one on their site just bounces back to me every time I try it.

All and any help will be
greatly appreciated.

Gas Font Machine Temperature Office equipment

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
I think those who are posting to your other thread on this issue understood your problem. I also think your assumption is incorrect. States do not issue VINs - the manufacturers do. By the mid to late 50's, much earlier in most states, vehicles were registered using the identification number issued by the manufacturer given on the Certificate of Origin (sometimes known as the Manufacturers Statement of Origin - MSO), a document that was issued to the original purchaser. That document had the VIN that was on the VIN tag attached to the vehicle, and almost always engraved in other places on the car (frame for example). This is absolutely the case for your '57. One used that document to obtain a license and title the car into the name of the new owner.

Your picture shows a replacement Assigned Number tag - not a VIN tag. It was issued by the State of Kansas (as is done in many states) some time more recently as a replacement for the original VIN tag. I'm assuming you have a State of Kansas title in your possession noting the assigned number. The larger issue is why that tag needed to be assigned / what happened that caused the original VIN or title to be unusable. It may have been for a completely legitimate reason - after all the State of Kansas sanctioned whatever happened by issuing the replacement I.D. tag in the first place. But understand that is not the original VIN tag and the number shown will probably not be part of the records your Department of Transport would have access to. Although if they would agree to contact the Kansas Department of Motor Vehicles directly they might be able to confirm the number of that supplemental tag (after all, their department issued it) as being valid - then the question becomes if your Dept. of Transport will accept anything other than an original VIN in the first place. I've heard some awful stories.

The original VIN, or at least part of it, will be stamped on the top of the original frame rail on the driver's side at about where the rear of the front seat is. You'll need a mirror, a good light, and a little luck to find it. If your DOT researches that number it might lead them back to the Assigned Number you already have proof of. If you have an aftermarket frame that might explain why an assigned number had to be used....and it may or may not complicate things with your DOT.

I know the horse is out of the barn here, but nailing down the proper paperwork of ownership should be the first thing that is done to a project car - not the last. 9 years would be a lot to go to waste if you cant get this ironed out. I wish you good luck.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
KANSAS DID NOT ISSUES THEIR OWN VIN NUMBERS IN THE 50S. They do however use assign numbers to vehicles assembled/ restored from multiple cars. I have been through this more than once. If possible they will reconstruct the original VIN number and install it on the KS plate. If the inspector [an employee of the Kansas Highway Patrol] believes the car is not a Frankenstein built it may get the OEM number applied to plate. I have multiple buddies who are retired from the KHP, I do not get my info from message boards.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I appreciate all help and input but sadly I am still in the same situation.
The only way I can see me solving this problem is by getting The Kansas Highway patrol to help me But as I am unable to contact them I have no were to go.
The emails on their site dont work and I have tried to ring their contact numbers from Western Australia to no avail.
I would not have bought the chev if I had any idea of this mess.
9 years of restoring it and god knows how much money and its just going to sit in my shed, because some government worker cant complete his paper work.
This S___ could only happen to me.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
As many cars that are exported from US to your country I have to believe this is not the first time they have seen this. States have the authority to issue a new VIN for a vehicle based on circumstances that preceded it. Having the matching state issued "pink slip" with said tag is legal in the United States.

·
Registered
1956 Nomad RHD, mofified, 1955 Nomad RHD,restored 1957 Nomad RHD, still in progress
1,523 Posts
Maca
As per Slim's comments, it must have happened down here before.

I'm assuming you have the title showing the same info.
You have an import approval for that vehicle with that VIN # recorded - so it was cleared by the US authorities to leave the country and it was cleared by the Aussie authorities to enter this country - so that is the vehicles identification..
I'd ask your transport department what they do if someone brings in say a 1930 vehicle they found on a farm and it has no ID #'s on it - they must have some way of dealing with it.

If they continue to refuse I'd approach your local state MP and explain your position and ask for help from the MP - ask the MP to approach the relevant minister for an explanation of why they won't accept the paperwork and tag you have, and how can they help you. Explain to them what I've said above: it was cleared to leave the US, cleared to enter Australia, so what's the problem?

Cheers, Des

Cheers, Des.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Maca
As per Slim's comments, it must have happened down here before.

I'm assuming you have the title showing the same info.
You have an import approval for that vehicle with that VIN # recorded - so it was cleared by the US authorities to leave the country and it was cleared by the Aussie authorities to enter this country - so that is the vehicles identification..
I'd ask your transport department what they do if someone brings in say a 1930 vehicle they found on a farm and it has no ID #'s on it - they must have some way of dealing with it.

If they continue to refuse I'd approach your local state MP and explain your position and ask for help from the MP - ask the MP to approach the relevant minister for an explanation of why they won't accept the paperwork and tag you have, and how can they help you. Explain to them what I've said above: it was cleared to leave the US, cleared to enter Australia, so what's the problem?

Cheers, Des

Cheers, Des.
Think this is the best advice you'll get .

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Think this is the best advice you'll geT

Thanks for that it is looking like I will have to go to my local member as the local Dep of Transport lodigil staff at all.
Yes the import papers I have match the Kansas assigned identification number but they cant get over that fact that's its not a standard VIN number.
I will fight on till I get a result.
I was so hoping to be on the road by xmas but now I am wondering which Xmas It will be on the road.

·
Registered
1956 Nomad RHD, mofified, 1955 Nomad RHD,restored 1957 Nomad RHD, still in progress
1,523 Posts
I'm assuming he has the title - you must have that to get it shipped out of the country.

Maca
Just thought of another option apart from your local MP is the State Ombudman's Office - they deal with all state guvmint departments and handle complaints against those departments. If your local MP doesn't want to get involved, give him/her appropriate feedback for not helping and then approach the Ombudsman's office.

Cheers, Des

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
I'm assuming he has the title - you must have that to get it shipped out of the country.

Maca
Just thought of another option apart from your local MP is the State Ombudman's Office - they deal with all state guvmint departments and handle complaints against those departments. If your local MP doesn't want to get involved, give him/her appropriate feedback for not helping and then approach the Ombudsman's office.

Cheers, Des
I spoke with one of my retied KHP buddies today and he believed too that you had to have a title to ship a car overseas and most likely need one to get it in country once shipped. The KHP does checks to verify cars are not stolen before they assign a number. And as a retired government employee, I smell a simple servant who doe not know his job.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
And as a retired government employee, I smell a simple servant who doe not know his job.
I've been mulling this issue over off and on today, and kept landing on that same result...was trying to find a way to put it diplomatically, but I think you hit it right on the head.

I totally agree there had to be a valid title exchange for the importation to have happened in the first place. I've thought about the various reasons why the assigned VIN was needed - but none of that matters. The State of Kansas codified whatever circumstances existed when they issued the new VIN. A proper title had to have been part of the import transaction (I say that from experience based on the one time I shipped a car to NZ). All boils down to someone not aware/experienced enough to handle the transaction. It makes absolutely no difference that a VIN 'doesn't look' like one that may have been issued 65 years ago.

maca, please do let us know how this progresses - that '57 needs to be enjoyed. BTW - how about a picture or two?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts