Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
helloo, i have a friend that is in need of an original style VIN plate for his '54 vette, he bought it some 25 years ago, and the vin plate was gone then, now he has it ready to show and go again, but no vin plate! any suggestions for my friend??

·
Premium Member
19,669 Posts
helloo, i have a friend that is in need of an original style VIN plate for his '54 vette, he bought it some 25 years ago, and the vin plate was gone then, now he has it ready to show and go again, but no vin plate! any suggestions for my friend??
:eek: here in IL,
U hav to go to DOT/state, has he checked with his local state, Dot ?

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
First I have been around the Corvette hobby for about 20 years and currently have two Corvettes in my car collection, a 1960 and a 1968 Convertible. My Brother owns a 1958.
The missing VIN tag should have been the first detail your friend should have address prior to his restoration. Because, to my knowledge there is no one legally manufacturing these tags and it is illegal to attach a re-manufactured or altered VIN tag to his car. There have been rumors about a guy in Canada (I think) who does these tags but rumor has it he is very strict about who he will do them for and proof of ownership is a very high priority. Sorry I don't know who he is and as I said I heard it as a rumor. You might try joining the NCRS and then posting this over at their web site. Someone may speak up about the tag guy IF he really exists.

He will probably be able to get a state DMV issued Vin for his car after proving with receipts that he legally purchased the car and all components. Then, If he gets a state VIN he can cut about 1/3 off of the resale value of his car as most Corvette guys don't want them with state VIN's, they want them original!

NYS told me the car had to be complete for the state VIN inspection and that they would cut a section out of my floor to expose the VIN number stamped on my frame. (BTW His car has the VIN stamped on the frame in two places.) If the VIN on the frame came up as stolen or wanted I would lose the car to the prior owner.

Good luck with this, I hope it comes out well.

Don

·
Registered
66,323 Posts
:hello: hi lutheran and welcome. good to have you here. try the search option above. local dmv would be the best way to do this the legal way.

·
Premium Member
13,484 Posts
The guy you are looking for is in canada and he has blank tags posted in the classified section on this site . I have dealt with him in the past and he is very helpful, his name is Peter . . good luck John

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
WELCOME

:sign0016:to trifive lutheran:wavey: I am afraid this:banghead:is what your friend is in for... :anim_25:Later, Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts