Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in need of a correct VIN Tag for the doorjam on my 57 Nomad. Does anyone make these to order? It presently has an Arizona State Tag.
Please advise.
Thanks.
Ken

·
Registered
557 Posts
theres a guy on ebay from canada that had some a few months back. like 170 bucks though

·
Registered
253 Posts
I saw one on here last week. Check the classifieds here.
:anim_25:

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I am in need of a correct VIN Tag for the doorjam on my 57 Nomad. Does anyone make these to order? It presently has an Arizona State Tag.
Please advise.
Thanks.
Ken
By "Arizona State Tag" I assume you mean it is a DMV assigned VIN tag. That IS your correct tag. At this point changing the VIN tag would be retagging. :eek: Since it is the legal tag I'd leave it alone. Changing it may come back to bite you one day.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
By "Arizona State Tag" I assume you mean it a DMV assigned VIN tag. That IS your correct tag. At this point changing the VIN tag would be retagging. :eek: Since it is the legal tag I'd leave it alone. Changing it may come back to bite you one day.
This is very good advice.

·
Registered
66,287 Posts
do you have a title with vin? :confused0006: if not, go to you dmv and find the right (& legal) way to do it. :anim_25:

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
for the sake of keeping this post going I have a few questions.

Lets say you could get a blank VIN tag. Where would you find someone with the correct stamps to punch your VIN on your new tag? Bogus stamps would negate any monetary gain you might hope to realize by having an original tag.

If this guy in Canada with the VIN tags does stamp the VIN number for you with the correct stamps, what VIN would you have stamped into the tag? I believe that the State issued VIN ID numbering does not mimmic the numbering that GM used on the original tags, so what would be the point of obtaining this VIN tag with incorrect Vin characteristics as used on your model year? If you can lift the original VIN number off of the frame I suppose you could attempt to use that on the VIN tag, IF it's not a wanted VIN number, and even then you would have to go through the state to have the VIN changed if they would allow it! Then, how will you explain to the DMV how this "supposed" original VIN tag has suddenly re-surfaced? (See it's still illegal to re-manufacture a missing VIN tag so you would have to sell the idea to them that this is the original real one) . Seems pointless to me. And if the numbers are already registered to another car you run the risk of losing yours. Looks like a Pandora's box best left shut. I'm just saying.....not trying to sound like a smart a$$, I'll bet you have this all thought out.

Don

·
Registered
557 Posts
beyond me
i was just stating that i saw one on ebay while looking at parts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Vin Tag 57 Nomad

I was the original poster on this topic. The State Applied Vin Tag is the same that is on the title and frame. I just don't like the look of the tag and wanted a stock looking tag. No hankey/pankey here, I just don't like the look
when I open the door to get in or out.
Thanks for the info.
Ken

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Vin Tag 57 Nomad

Guys;
I still don't have a source for the tag with the proper numbers. Any help
here?
Thanks.
Ken

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Why would you want to take something legal and turn it into something illegal. At least in this state there are only a handful of OFFicers who have the authority to remove/alter VIN plates. Deal with it you are lucky they all match.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
The State Applied Vin Tag is the same that is on the title and frame.
Somewhere in the DMV records there is a document recording the VIN tag for that car being officially assigned a state tag. Change it at your risk. It may bite you. Someday you may find yourself in a bind for your actions. If so, don't forget to update us!

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
I was the original poster on this topic.

The State Applied Vin Tag is the same that is on the title and frame.

I just don't like the look of the tag and wanted a stock looking tag. No hankey/pankey here, I just don't like the look when I open the door to get in or out.
Thanks for the info.
Ken
I have seen VIN tags advertised in Hemmings (a company known as Back East comes to mind)

That being said, here's the real problem.

The state assigned VIN is now the VIN of record for the car. My limited experience with state assigned VIN's tells me that the number assigned has nothing to do with the real VIN of the car.

Are you saying that in your case, the state assigned VIN is the same as the "real" VIN of your car?

I've only owned one car with a state assigned VIN, and that was a 67 Austin Mini Cooper S.

It had an assigned California VIN of DMV 24182 CA.

Chuck

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Yes, the state may use ths original VIN# in the case of replacing a lost one. I have seen it on more than 1 car. They would assign a nuw number if the car was made of more than 1 car.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Here's a link to the Back East company I mentioned. I know nothing about them. I've never used them.

I've just seen their ads for years.

I might also add that you're on a "slippery slope" here.

http://www.datatags.com/

Chuck

1 - 17 of 17 Posts