Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just noticed today the shop that did my car painted right over the vin plate. Any suggestions on how to get the paint off neatly. I was thinking of taping off the area and dabbing paint stripper on the area.

IMAG1648 by 55graffiti, on Flickr

·
Administrator
66,105 Posts
Definitely tape the area up, paint stripper should work, you`ll have paint in the stamping, so you need to get in the little grooves :anim_25:

·
Administrator
49,472 Posts
The painter did the same to mine when it was painted. I haven`t worried about it since i know the VIN is correct on mine. Angelo`s suggestion is how i would do it also. Just be very careful or you will strip more paint than on the tag.
Terry

·
Premium Member
14,034 Posts
use a heat gun and warm the paint and remove with very small scraper blade.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Tape around the tag then use orange polishing compound on a rag. You wont run the risk of paint remover getting on your new paint.

Don

·
Registered
657 Posts
Mask around it and use a little reducer on a cloth on the end of your finger. It should come off fairly quickly. Don't use so much reducer that it is dripping from the cloth. Keep the unused part of the cloth balled up in the palm of your hand.

Don

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Hey guys just noticed today the shop that did my car painted right over the vin plate. Any suggestions on how to get the paint off neatly. I was thinking of taping off the area and dabbing paint stripper on the area.
That's how I did it. No problem. Took a couple application to get it all off.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Mask around it and use a little reducer on a cloth on the end of your finger. It should come off fairly quickly. Don't use so much reducer that it is dripping from the cloth. Keep the unused part of the cloth balled up in the palm of your hand.

Don
That's how I did it on my 62 chevy pick up. Is it not legal to leave them painted?

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
My suggestion: contact the paint shop and tell them to send someone over and finish the job they didn't do right. They see a shiney VIN tag and paint over it. I'm sure it didn't contain paint so why would you paint it? Remarkable.

·
Registered
346 Posts
My suggestion: contact the paint shop and tell them to send someone over and finish the job they didn't do right. They see a shiney VIN tag and paint over it. I'm sure it didn't contain paint so why would you paint it? Remarkable.
+1

And ask them if they sanded off the VIN before you alter it yourself...

·
Registered
346 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts