Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on my '56 chevy Bel Air getting my Vintage Air installed
Anyone know how to get the vintage air control panel in? It looks impossible. I have searched here, utube etc.

·
Premium Member
5,297 Posts
You have to take the chrome bezel out of the dash, work the cable correctors thru the bezel, then thru the dash hole from the front, and put all of it back together. PITA, but it can be done. Helps to have the glove box and ashtray out.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Kaiser, please keep us (me) updated on any issues or problems you have installing your Vintage Air unit.
I plan on purchasing a Vintage Air also and install it this fall by myself.
After purchasing and installing a serpentine belt conversion kit. $$$

·
Premium Member
10,630 Posts
Like David says, it requires holding your tongue just right, but with some perseverance, you'll get it. By the way, once you get the Gen IV system up and running, you'll be happy that you did the work!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
i have the assembly all put together, do i take the controllers off and reassemble under the dash? mine is the electric controller that works with the modified controller

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
8,806 Posts
You don't need to take the face off. The unit will fit through the front just fine. Back the 2 screws on the top almost all the way out, but leave them in the housing completely. Remove the cables that VA supplies. Insert the unit so that the 2 lower arms are inserted first. Push the unit back into the hole and as it gets close slip the upper part ( with screws) into the top of the hole first. Last is to set it in place so the lower screws will line up. Install those screws to hold it. Reconnect your cables etc. Tighten the 2 top screws so the upper face of the bezel is snug to the dash face. Snug up the lower 2 screws.

Mikey

·
Premium Member
13,135 Posts
I highly recommend taking the ash tray and holder out of the dash to do this . makes it 10x easier.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Hey, Kaiser! Welcome to tri-five! If I can be of any help with your 56, let me know. Don't know where in Tucson You're located, but we are close enough. PM me if interested in sharing address and phone info.
Bill

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
IT IS IN!!!
I was a little afraid to tweak and bend to get the controls if but i did and i got it.
two things
1 remove the ash tray assembly.
2 you have to make sure everything is still connected once it is in.

i over thought it it was not so bad.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Good to know.
I have read some posts here from 57 owners and it sounds like a much harder install in their cars.
I'm sure that after I order mine later this year and start to install it I'll be asking questions here.
I'm sure having a second set of hands would be helpful, but I'll probably be installing it by myself.

·
Premium Member
7,449 Posts
Good to know.
I have read some posts here from 57 owners and it sounds like a much harder install in their cars.
I'm sure that after I order mine later this year and start to install it I'll be asking questions here.
I'm sure having a second set of hands would be helpful, but I'll probably be installing it by myself.
I don't think installing by yourself is possible for main under dash unit . Unless you have 10 ft. long arms with eyes on the end of your fingers.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Good to know.
Greg,

Ask away, most of the folks here are extremely knowledgeable and willing to assist. I've learned a lot just by asking questions here, and I'm grateful for everyone's assistance. I had never even considered working on an AC unit before, I always considered it a mystical art; now here I am about 75% of the way complete and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. It's not that hard if you do the research and take your time.

And IMHO you CAN do it by yourself. A little planning beforehand will work wonders.

Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
35,329 Posts
Unless you have 10 ft. long arms with eyes on the end of your fingers.
Thing is, 2 more arms and 2 more eyes does not make any of the arms longer or put eyes in the end of any fingers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts